Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

577/450 brass wanted

Looking for brass and dies for 577/450 also lead shot #7'8'or9 prefer in Tga area due to freight costs. And complete lube press for lead projectiles thanks

I managed to get some Brass out of Australia for the martini Henery 577/450 a few years back. kangaroo brand and Cost about $10nz each case. As for Dies I had no luck so fire formed the cases and now paper patch the bullet. Just squeze the lot together in the shed vise. Seems to work well enough and when you see the state of some of the original hand made twist cases Mine look a hell of alot safer.

Yep I paper wrap a sized projectile the same and insert into the case using my 45/70 crimp die wound right open. But I only have some spanz brass which I cannot get a full load in due to their manufacture. Can buy Bertram brass but geeez it expensive! Could split an order with someone. This for you help, can get lyman dies but don't really see the need now I'm paper wrapping PS using old dress makers patterns for paper supply, get from OP shops, it comes in various thicknesses

A repeat of the mixture of the replies you have already got - I used SPANZ brass but I think they have long gone. (Plus you already have SPANZ) Did not use dies (as you know SPANZ turned from brass stock so dies no good on it). Didn't need dies, just kept using brass over and over again. No need to resize. Used to load on the range. Made a hand held priming tool. Punched the primers out using a Ramset nail with tip ground down in diameter. Also shot paper patched projectiles. (Lee mould and Tony Hawkins mould) I think I may have also put wads in to fill the space. Was incredibly accurate. Bertram brass is available across the water although I see someone on TardMe sells Bertram although have never seen MH brass listed. Re the high cost of Bertram. the SPANZ was similarly expensive in its time. I shot Martini Henry and Snider both using SPANZ brass but only ever had around 30 cases for each and then, as I said, reloaded on the range. And yes, your load is limited with SPANZ but how "robust" do you want your load? I shot heaps of goats with my undernourished load.

Thanks Zimmer have been out today shooting the 577 and my 45/70. I think I just have to keep
    Looking for brass, now have about 20 units, some Berdan primers but can sort that.
    I have managed to fire form a few today so they are soaking waiting to be reloaded.
    I think the way you handled reloading is the way to go, as for load sizes I've got a headache!
    Regards Terry

Can offer you 10x new cases headstamped NDFS (turned I would say) at $10ea which was my cost.
    Would courier/post at your cost.
    Regards Bill

Those North Devon Firearms Service cases are pretty good quality , made in England , and you should be able to get them through the likes of Reloaders Supplies or Mark Bridgeman in Taupo, if you need more
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Sounds like a deal, that would take my tally to about 40 cartridges, enough for a good day out. I've learnt to take pain killers before I go out to tame the neck pain. What is yr contact my email is terry@mountrewinds.co.nz

In Taupo ovr Xmas will investigate thanks