Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 brass cases wanted

7.62x39 brass cases wanted

I have bought a 7.62x39 and the accuracy is consistent but not great. I thought I would have a go at reloading for the rifle in the hopes of increasing the accuracy. I don't want to splash out on new Lapua brass so I want to get some cheaper used brass. I suspect that most of the 7.62x39 brass cases (and steel) are ejected with elan, flying through the air into the never-never of weeds and brush but someone may have some they do not need. Pleases PM me.

Was the stuff my mini 30 spat out no good? Let me know if there no good so I don't have to try finding the little buggers at the end of a range session.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    I have bought a 7.62x39 and the accuracy is consistent but not great. I thought I would have a go at reloading for the rifle in the hopes of increasing the accuracy. I don't want to splash out on new Lapua brass so I want to get some cheaper used brass. I suspect that most of the 7.62x39 brass cases (and steel) are ejected with elan, flying through the air into the never-never of weeds and brush but someone may have some they do not need. Pleases PM me.
    What rifle? 7.62x39 can shoot just as well as anything else.

Steve123: I think it is good and I'm in the process of fettling it. I'm getting serious now about this accuracy thing, after disappointing results with Barnaul SP. The rifle is a CZ.

so how bad is not good???? surely you are getting better than 3" at 100 yards???? the cartridge is ONLY a 150 yard proposition due to lack of power.....sure you CAN stretch its legs further but yeah nah better to keep it in close and be sure of a clean kill. I cant see why fellas buy rifles in this calibre then try to make them shoot tiny wee groups...its not going to be necessary at the range you will be using it.....if you want to head shoot buy a .223....if you want to shoot out to 350 yards buy a .308.....
    timattalon and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I cant see why fellas buy rifles in this calibre then try to make them shoot tiny wee groups...its not going to be necessary at the range you will be using it.....if you want to head shoot buy a .223....if you want to shoot out to 350 yards buy a .308.....
    good call happy with mine at MODS (minute of deer shoulder)1 1/2" - 2"ish at 50 yds
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    good call happy with mine at MODS (minute of deer shoulder)1 1/2" - 2"ish at 50 yds
    My JW103 shoots well for the first few shots till it heats up. Got it as a cheap plinker more than for hunting though. Mainly got it coz I was in the dentist's waiting room bored out of my skull.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

if deer isnt dead after the first few shots.....being accurate isnt going to matter LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    My JW103 shoots well for the first few shots till it heats up. Got it as a cheap plinker more than for hunting though. Mainly got it coz I was in the dentist's waiting room bored out of my skull.

your dentist sells rifles?.............i need to change mine , all i got was a tooth pulled
    timattalon and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    your dentist sells rifles?.............i need to change mine , all i got was a tooth pulled
    Joy's of tardme and a mobile phone. Should start to rationalize/downsize the collection but each fill a niche.

My experience with Barnaul is it is only really "hunting" accurate, and 4 inch zone at 100m is good enough to tip a deer over at that, or 150m max.
    I have tipped a goat over at 150m with the 5.56 sp with my mini 14, but the 7.62 through the mini 30 opened the group up a bit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    I have somehow acquired a 20rd box of Barnaul sp, yours if you want to grab it.

Arthur cleland in Hamilton has new 7.62x39 brass for a good price,give him a call.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I have somehow acquired a 20rd box of Barnaul sp, yours if you want to grab it.
    if he doesnt want it you could always drop it at my place...

Has anyone tried the Norinco branded 7.62x39 SP ammo from GC and can compare against Barnaul SP?