Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 hunting ammo wanted

7.62x39 hunting ammo wanted

Anyone have part packets or ammo that doesn’t shoot well in your gun sitting around?getting mini 30 in the new year and hate buying many different brands of ammo to find accurate load,thought I would ask here first.merry Xmas all.

Only looking for soft nose or sst tip,not Fmj. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Only looking for soft nose or sst tip,not Fmj. Thanks
    Try PPU, my mini really likes it. Where abouts are you based?

We’re in this fine land do you live mate?

In the waikato.

Thinking about getting some dies and reloading for it as well eventually so any tips appreciated ..

Hornady do a steel cased SST factory load worth trying.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Yea that’s what I used in my mini I had years ago..hope they go as well in the new one.

I have several packets of Barnaul steel-case sp ammo if thats what you are after.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Thinking about getting some dies and reloading for it as well eventually so any tips appreciated ..
    You'll need to sort out whether it has a .308 or .310 bore.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=15904

Ruger Mini-30 bore specs
    This rifle is chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge. This cartridge, traditionally, uses a projectile with a nominal diameter of .311 to .312 inch.

At the time the Mini-30 was introduced very few bullet makers where producing .311/.312 inch bullets for reloading in the light 125-130 grain weight required. Ruger initiated the use of barrels with a groove dimension of .308 inch and a long tapered throat. The throat allowed the use of ammunition with .311/.312 projectiles by gradually squeezing them to the .308 diameter. In addition, ammunition loaded with more commonly available .308 diameter bullets could also be used.

Commencing in 1992 Ruger initiated a change to using .311/.312 nominal groove diameter, 1-10 inch right hand twist barrels in all Mini-30's. It was likely well into 1993 before all rifles coming of the production line incorporated the .311/.312 barrels.

The Barnaul steel-case sp shoots well and kills goats ok out of the 7.62 AR. The PPU also shoots very well.

II found Reloading 7.62x39 frustrating. Velocities with available powders came out well below eastern made ammo so pretty much gave up. It's nice to shoot steel case ammo and not worry about reloading, the old Mini 30 kicks them out a fair way.

hard case...I find it a doddle to reload for BECAUSE i DONT OWN A CHRONY and dont give a stuff how fast it going....it kills thats good enough for me. try some 125grn ballistic tips,they come up cheap on trademe,2nds and Im buggered if can see anything wrong other than colour of copper.,also shootersnz 151s work good,dont know how you will get on through semi,but even if they just your first round they might be worth a crack.
    erniec likes this.

With a mini 30 you're going to get somewhere around 2 MOA accuracy so really there is not going to be any " accurate " load . You could use Barnaual which will work , but uses bi-metal projectiles , but wear the barrel faster . Or any of the other rounds which start at $ 1.75 each or could go down the reload , and probably loose the brass , which would cost $ 2 + using 125 - 150 gn projectiles .
    For some reason 7.62x39 is not a well catered for round . Reloading , and expecting to loose the brass , is probably the best route especially when a 308 bore will give you a good range of projectiles .

I have a supply of 7.62x39 highland somewhere here. Probaly 10 boxes or more of shop stock.

I will disagree with @Tankd on the bimetal wearing the barrels out as all the projectiles I have retrieved have still had the copper jacket so the only contact with the barrel was the copper and the bimetal was not that much harder than the lead when we crush tested it in a press..

However I will agree with Tankd that the best option is probably to look at reloading as the 150gr option is well worth looking into, or using the steel cased SST from Hornady. Thats what I did when I had one. (7.62x39 not a ruger)

Tankd is also correct that 2" is abut as good as you can expect for the mini 30.