Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 Wanted

7.62x39 Wanted

Want to have a go with a 7.62x39 (308 short)

Non Semi
    Single shot or Bolt action
    Not a Norinco (I think are all Semi anyway)

Preff already with SUP - but will fit a DPT if without.
    Will shorten barrel back so SUP is back against fore stock.

Any suggestions on best Ammo appreciated as I have never used one before.

Cheers

Name:  2 7.62x39 Golden Bear HP 5-213_1.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  34.1 KB

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...334f1f25c576a0

Or go with a JW-103 Norinco, Zastava etc etc. A few people make em
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...334f1f25c576a0

Or go with a JW-103 Norinco, Zastava etc etc. A few people make em
    Yes - I have TM set up on alert for all 7.62x39 and seen the CZ

I don't want to spend over 1K - as I will be cutting it down etc and may devalue it to suit my needs/wants

Zastava - yes - I would be interested in one of those if they around FS

A break open single shot Baikal would be considered too - and yes I know about this one - its on my watch-list but needs a bit of Gunsmithing work
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1502929003

howa mini action . blued action about a $100 cheaper than stainless. was some deals before xmas with scope not sure if that was the threaded ones.gunworks in chch have got some I think.

I hunt pretty much exclusively with an AR7.62x39 using Highland 123gr PSP factory ammo. Never let me down yet and everything has been one shot kills. Hornady do a SST load in steel cases but they have hard wolf primers and my gun as currently set won’t detonate them. Definitely recommend the highland.
    Sarvo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    howa mini action . blued action about a $100 cheaper than stainless. was some deals before xmas with scope not sure if that was the threaded ones.gunworks in chch have got some I think.
    Yes - I also know of these - but I want shortness and as I stated above - my personal preff adjustments etc will devalue a Howa (new one) to much
    They were just under the 1K for memory - good buying but

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I hunt pretty much exclusively with an AR7.62x39 using Highland 123gr PSP factory ammo. Never let me down yet and everything has been one shot kills. Hornady do a SST load in steel cases but they have hard wolf primers and my gun as currently set won’t detonate them. Definitely recommend the highland.
    Whats the longest shot you have pulled off HB ??

I'd go with the Howa. If you want a project rifle get a JW103. Can't really devalue those.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    I'd go with the Howa. If you want a project rifle get a JW103. Can't really devalue those.
    OK
    That JW103 is bolt action - cheap but looked a u tube on it an looks solid enough
    As you say - can get it cut back and SUP on and prob not devalue
    I will look - but does Gun City sell them ??

Yep they do $540 without SUP
    Get it sent direct to Gun Smith.

Will see is anyone comes up with a 2nd hand one over the next week b4 committing to a new one.
    Cheers for that

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    OK
    That JW103 is bolt action - cheap but looked a u tube on it an looks solid enough
    As you say - can get it cut back and SUP on and prob not devalue
    I will look - but does Gun City sell them ??
    Not at the moment, look for 2nd hand. I picked one up for $300. Got it about two weeks before the HOWA ones went on the market so a little bummed. Shoots ok but the quality is nothing like my other rifles.

righteho..... first off find a nirinco/BISLEY bolt action...they are finished with one hand and foot not just foot as the norinco ones are.
    mine has stock cut back a bit shorter as it had crack that pissed me off and gunworks fitted spartan suppressor cutting barrel back so suppressor fits neatly just shy of stock.
    forget accuracy....yes thats what I ment to type.
    the cartridge is a 150 yard job max....dont kid yourself its any thing more the numbers dont stack up. it is what it is .
    if you get 2" group at 100 yards it will still only be 3" at 150
    hornady make a good sst steel case load that is dynamite on big wallbies so should be the ducks nuts on goats/fallow/sika.
    mine happily digests .308 cal reloads and the nosler 125grn ballistic tips go particularly nicely
    its a doddle to reload for and you can have heap of fun really cheaply with cast 151s from shootersnz.
    we have cleanly taken about 6 deer with ours and 3-4 pigs no fuss no bother...wallabies die really well.
    hares bunnies and possums are fun with cast loads.
    get mag cut down to fit 3 rounds only as it will carry in hand much better and not jut out.
    these are really light wee rifles and a pleasure to shoot,mine wears a loopy m8 4x in low rings...match made in heaven for bush stalking.

federal make good ammo for these.highland/privi do loads too. wasnt overly impressed with s&b stuff stay well clear of china sport but the norinco stuff in yellow packet is good (awesome in .223 too)
    when you get one give me a hollar if you want load info as it can be a bit thin on ground.
    that round is one of shootersnzs that we recoverd from neck of my house mutton fired at subsonic velocity. the only one found so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    robhughes-games and Boaraxa like this.

They reckon the cz 7.62x39 are great , I had a bisley that shot surprisingly well so well that my neighbour swapped me his x39 zastava for it .

I can recommend a cut down JW103 like mine, has a factory adjustable trigger which is actually very very nice. Prob the nicest trigger on any rifle I own. Has a short chopped barrel, Gunworks can. Feeds from a single stack 5 round detachable magazine (cost $40-$50 new if you want a spare). Not the prettiest or nicest finish, but the lugs can be smoothed out considerably with valve grinding paste (mine is fine now), and once you remember the stock is just a cheap bit of wood and it's a rifle for bashing around, you won't cry if it gets a ding, and be more likely to take it places where dings might happen.

Name:  26235455_10155246872606593_1006756642_n.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  200.0 KB

Shoots highland all over the place (3-4" groups @ 100m), which I wasn't too happy about, but it turns out that might be a lot to do with the ammo itself. Once I reloaded some spent brass to make up some subsonics, I was quite surprised to notice the groups tightened a hell of a lot with the trailboss subs (it'll never be a benchrest rifle or anything though). Haven't got around to loading supersonic stuff for it, but I'm sure with a bit of care handloads will make a hell of a difference. Subs are 151 gr cast jobbies from @shooternz, with approx 6.7/6.8 gr of trailboss.

Name:  26233882_10155246886061593_104836799_n.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  30.2 KB
    Sarvo likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I can recommend a cut down JW103 like mine, has a factory adjustable trigger which is actually very very nice. Prob the nicest trigger on any rifle I own. Has a short chopped barrel, Gunworks can. Feeds from a single stack 5 round detachable magazine (cost $40-$50 new if you want a spare). Not the prettiest or nicest finish, but the lugs can be smoothed out considerably with valve grinding paste (mine is fine now), and once you remember the stock is just a cheap bit of wood and it's a rifle for bashing around, you won't cry if it gets a ding, and be more likely to take it places where dings might happen.

Attachment 80535

Shoots highland all over the place (3-4" groups @ 100m), which I wasn't too happy about, but it turns out that might be a lot to do with the ammo itself. Once I reloaded some spent brass to make up some subsonics, I was quite surprised to notice the groups tightened a hell of a lot with the trailboss subs (it'll never be a benchrest rifle or anything though). Haven't got around to loading supersonic stuff for it, but I'm sure with a bit of care handloads will make a hell of a difference. Subs are 151 gr cast jobbies from @shooternz, with approx 6.7/6.8 gr of trailboss.

Attachment 80536
    Tommy - what is her overall length with SUP on please ??
    AND - I might be back to pester you re reloads of subs