Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 Wanted

My 103 is good for the first two then the barrel gets hot and unless I wait for it to cool it goes to around 3 moa. Has shortening and supressing helped any of you guys accuracy wise?
    Also does anyone know where to get barnaul soft point x 39 ( blue pack) in Auckland?

as I said earlier...with this cartridge accuracy isnt a huge deal as its only a 150 yard cartridge tops...
    ours will do better than 2" any time we try,usually get 1.5" when sighting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    300cal...... I use lilgun in mine ,got mate to do quickload calculations for me,sure cant complain with how it works but then I dont use a chrony so if its accurate and they kill they good enough. also use 2206 which is good the lilgun has room to spare if you were looking to push for more velocity (watching pressure of course.)
    Thanks for the advice. Very hesitant to try anything I cant find in a book or powder makers web site... Also ARs may not respond to over pressure as well as a bolt gun. Just saying.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    My 103 is good for the first two then the barrel gets hot and unless I wait for it to cool it goes to around 3 moa. Has shortening and supressing helped any of you guys accuracy wise?
    Also does anyone know where to get barnaul soft point x 39 ( blue pack) in Auckland?
    No but Ive got several packets of hp that id like to swap for sp.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    No but Ive got several packets of hp that id like to swap for sp.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    jst spent the day at the range with my bisley/norinco .... first supressed outing it prefers the cheap as chips barnaul to the ppu. 2" ish group @ 100yd with barnaul . put some subs thru (150gr) but not quite happy yet 7.2gr trailboss ok-ish @ 50yd 6.2gr trailboss not so good projectiles seated out as far as poss. ..... quiet tho . gonna try 8 gr next time ......using a budget 1.5-5 kilwell scope for now
    ok back to the range today and have found a sub load to settle on ......7.5gr trailboss , (8gr wasnt cutting it )with the 150gr cast bullets with an OAL of 2.187", in the zone at 50yds and when i push the barnaul thru in the zone at 100 yd without having to tinker with the scope .

ok back to the range today and have found a sub load to settle on ......7.5gr trailboss , (8gr wasnt cutting it )with the 150gr cast bullets with an OAL of 2.187", in the zone at 50yds and when i push the barnaul thru in the zone at 100 yd without having to tinker with the scope .
    Still subsonic with 7.5gr? Mine has a short barrel and starts going transonic at 6.9. I might load a few and go shoot a goat tomorrow
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

i dont have a chrony to guage actual velocity but its quiet enough for my needs .....doesnt seem to break the sound barrier according to my earcrometer....but then i might not be calibrated.......

i dont have a chrony to guage actual velocity but its quiet enough for my needs .....doesnt seem to break the sound barrier according to my earcrometer....but then i might not be calibrated.......
    Neither, when I was working out the load, there were 4 or 5 dudes all huddled around, concentrating like fuck hahahahaha. Should really check. There was a point where it got noticeably quieter, which I settled on, which was 6.7gr of TB in a PPU/highland case
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

from memory you said your barrel was a couple of inches shorter than mine , possibly makes a difference?..... i know my 8mm is alot louder at 18" than it was at 23" im sure sometimes i see flames shooting out the barrel............

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    NO
    I cocked up
    Was away from home in Haast and using cell phone with TM app
    Thought I was leading and thought I got it - but NO - I did not
    Maybe for the better ??
    Just reread this - and never a truer word said (as it turned out in this particular case)
    Glad I missed it and ended up with @Philipo Kimber Montana

Showed my neighbor today (who's daughter owns biggest privately owned farm in Marlborough next to Molesworth) on way back for morning hunt - he was super impressed and went away slightly Green with envy :-))