Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bluemonsta
  • 1 Post By Cordite
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: 870 magazine parts

870 magazine parts

hey folks

mate has an 870 which holds one too many shells..... anyone have some parts around to get rid of it? had the extension on it when he brought it and didnt come with any other bits. had a quick look at it and presume it will need a new end cap and spring (could trim the old one?)

yet another person who didnt realise that their firearm has been affected.....

I may have an end cap lying around. Let me look. Otherwise Reloaders sold them.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I may have an end cap lying around. Let me look. Otherwise Reloaders sold them.
    cheers, he was going to buy new but thought i would ask on here first. suspect there will be a shortage of them since there will be alot of folks doing the same thing!

I’ll be home around 7pm. Will let you know then.
    Welcome to Sako club.

@223nut

Sorry I must have given my 2 spare end caps away. Can’t remember actually doing it, but I am getting old!
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    @223nut

Sorry I must have given my 2 spare end caps away. Can’t remember actually doing it, but I am getting old!
    all good, he has until december to get it sorted.... know that feeling, old timers disease a gradual progression

You can buy the end caps on aliexpress, I got a couple, came as Uncle Mikes and fit fine.
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    hey folks

mate has an 870 which holds one too many shells..... anyone have some parts around to get rid of it? had the extension on it when he brought it and didnt come with any other bits. had a quick look at it and presume it will need a new end cap and spring (could trim the old one?)

yet another person who didnt realise that their firearm has been affected.....
    Make sure that it really does need to be converted. If it is chambered for 3" shells, most shells will be crimped and therefore be only 2 3/4" long unfired, but extend to be 3" in the (3" long) chamber. But your shotgun can equally fire 3" non-crimped shells, which are the full 3" long unfired in the magazine. If you are lucky, you cannot put more than 5 non-crimped full 3" shells in the mag.
    Good luck.
    Time is running out. Sign the COLFO 2nd tranche petition HERE.

@Cordite just read on another thread that it is measured as the fired shell, will pass this info on and see how he gets on, I know he can fit 6 3" shells in unfired.

But how are you supposed to find out if you can't use it.... Fire them off in a different gun and then see if 6 fit?!

An unfired crimped 3" shell is 2 3/4" long, it becomes 3" long once fired.

An unfired non-crimped 3" shell is 3" long, and it remains 3" long once fired, so this is the standard for the magazine count in a 3" chambered shotgun.

Yes, half a dozen fired 3" crimped shells will do as a substitute for 3" non-crimped shells when checking the mag. I'd put in some rolled newspaper to make sure the crimps don't collapse with the pressure of the magazine spring, or your measurements won't be reliable. Alternatively, some 3" reloadable brass cases will do as they are identical to non-crimped shotshells in dimension.
    223nut likes this.
    Time is running out. Sign the COLFO 2nd tranche petition HERE.

my 870 with out tube extension held 4x 3'' rounds and 6x 3'' rounds with the tube extension. iv pinned mine so it holds 5 with the extension on. i have a mate with the same gun who wants to do the same he might be intersted in swapping the extension for his end cap il ask him. (Note not trying to break the new laws ect the tube is only illegal if once fitted it holds over 5 rounds and would be modified to comply before fitting)

@Teggy will check it with fired shells and get back to you

@Cordite you sure that it is measured with fired shells (makes sense) if so then it can only fit 5 (thankfully as mate didnt want to fork out for modification amd was going to hand it in)
    @Teggy thanks for the offer but not needed now
    Cordite likes this.

So having talked with yhe local cop who said try the 0800 nu ber who said talk to a gunsmith..... (sounds about right) it is unfired shells of the maximun chamber. Doesnt matter that 3" shells actually measure 2 3/4

Will have to take a tape measure with me next time i buy ammo and see if i can find any that are 3" unfired