Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please

Advice Please

Hi All,

I have just bought a pet food business supplying raw food for dogs and cats- way better for them than the usual processed stuff.

I want to start sourcing wild game off cuts/offal/frames, but I'm not having much luck with the big players in the market.

Is it legal for me to purchase from hunters?

Any advice on how to get hold of what I need greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

what game animals are you interested in purchasing?

You are the one with the business...you should be telling us what is legal...I could organise a truck [light] load of goats if interested...and are you intrested in possum bodies.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I have no Idea really but I would have thought they might have to be verified TB/1080 free?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lostlegend View Post
    what game animals are you interested in purchasing?
    anything really- possum, rabbit, wallaby, deer, chamois....

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You are the one with the business...you should be telling us what is legal...I could organise a truck [light] load of goats if interested...and are you intrested in possum bodies.
    lol...yeah..the business only does chicken and beef mixes at the moment, lots of people have given me different advice re being supplied by hunters, so thought it best to find out from those in the know. Commercial hunters can sell animals, but recreational ones can't- is that true? Apologies in advance if the question is a stupid one. Yes, possum is an option, rabbits even better.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have no Idea really but I would have thought they might have to be verified TB/1080 free?
    people need licences to use 1080 which is specific to a property, so need them sourced from area where 1080 has not been used. TB- good point, I'll do some research on that, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by nzdragons View Post
    people need licences to use 1080 which is specific to a property, so need them sourced from area where 1080 has not been used. TB- good point, I'll do some research on that, cheers.
    Your assuming all hunters hunt private property? The majority would hunt public land. 1080 is spread all over public land and in some conditions it can last for months. My mates dog was poisoned with it we didn't see what he ate(bait or carcase) it was over 5 months from when this area was treated.Its suffering was hideous and had to be put down.

I could be wrong here but my understanding (from that event) is that dogs are extremely susceptible to 1080 poisoning and could be killed from eating a animal that had received a sub lethal dose (for that species)and was shot thinking it was healthy.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I know the place in Chch used to pay $3 for a Rabbit and $5 for hare with guts out

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I know the place in Chch used to pay $3 for a Rabbit and $5 for hare with guts out
    If its the place im thinking of they had to be head shot and CLEAN for restaurants ?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Head shot, but were pet food AFAIK

i could be wrong but in my mind the only difference between a Commercial hunter and a recreational hunter is one hunts for himself the other hunts to sell the spoils of his hunt. Selling game gathered from public land as far as i know is against the conditions of the permit, but to go as far as say it's illegal i'm not so sure about that.

The hard part for you if you were to accept animals from hunters is working out where they were shot, ideally you would need to build up a supply chain of reputable hunters to provide you with the animals.

If you are located in Auckland as your profile states this maybe easier said than done if you require fresh meat.

If you don't mind frozen meat it would open up a few more opportunities as the bulk of New Zealands rabbits are located in the Central Otago / South Canterbury regions.

I'm sure you would have though of all these points, what sort of monetary re-embursement would you be providing the "hunter" for a rabbit?

I wonder if you could process hunters own, for resale in some form back to the hunter.

Go to the source. You will only get opinions and home spun wisdom here. Its hardly the place for business advice.
    MAF are probably the people to talk to about what game meat you can buy and process, and from whom. There are a stack of rules and regulations.
    And this is a good site:

Business support, information and advice | Business.govt.nz

Quote Originally Posted by lostlegend View Post
    i could be wrong but in my mind the only difference between a Commercial hunter and a recreational hunter is one hunts for himself the other hunts to sell the spoils of his hunt. Selling game gathered from public land as far as i know is against the conditions of the permit, but to go as far as say it's illegal i'm not so sure about that.

The hard part for you if you were to accept animals from hunters is working out where they were shot, ideally you would need to build up a supply chain of reputable hunters to provide you with the animals.

If you are located in Auckland as your profile states this maybe easier said than done if you require fresh meat.

If you don't mind frozen meat it would open up a few more opportunities as the bulk of New Zealands rabbits are located in the Central Otago / South Canterbury regions.

I'm sure you would have though of all these points, what sort of monetary re-embursement would you be providing the "hunter" for a rabbit?

This explains the regulations regarding selling wild game:

Important note about wild game meat

So I guess I need to be supplied by commercial hunters

Commercial hunters and certified wild/game suppliers

The one shot rule only applies if the meat is for human consumption- in aussie when they cull roos the one shot ones are for human consumption, the others are pet food.
    So as long as the animal is not killed with a shot gun, I don't see an issue.

Price, not sure, say $4 per animal- anyone who does this kind of work please feel free to recommend a price.

Don't need it fresh, frozen is fine...I can organise freight to Auckland.

So I guess I'm looking for a commercial hunter or someone willing to jump through the hoops in order to become one.

I will contract this person/persons to supply a minimum number at a set price per animal.

I'll take Tahr's advice and give MAF a bell and let you know how I get on.

Cheers for the advice guys.