Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hayden C

Thread: After a good trout rod

After a good trout rod

Gday Iím after a good used trout spinning rod as the ones I have looked at so far for $100 and under seem flimsy maybe Iím just to tight but it wonít get used heaps so donít want to spend a big amount so if anyone in Dunedin has rod and reel for sale Iíd be keen to hear from you!

man how big are your Trout
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

More meaning the reel seems flimsy haha cheap rod would probably do cause I don’t catch f all haha

How much you prepared to spend ?? For just over $200 you can get a four piece 8# 'Dragon' trout spin that will do for the rest of your life and fish like a G Loomis $700 rod

KiwiinSeattle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden C View Post
    +1 on the rod - Shimano Catana 7ft 3-5kg, I think I got mine online at Rebel Sport. Good for rivers, lakes and 20lb+ fish in the hydro canals.

If you can find one.

Take a look at the Shakespeare slingshot.

Amazing rod and not bad buying at $70.

Also take a look at the okuma spin sets as their very good value and will fit the bill $ wise.

I've got a Nanomatrix 30 reel and it's a honey but I've found due to my fly addiction it doesn't get used.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    How much you prepared to spend ?? For just over $200 you can get a four piece 8# 'Dragon' trout spin that will do for the rest of your life and fish like a G Loomis $700 rod
    Meant 8' (eight foot - not #eight) rod. An eight foot spin rod is twice as good as a 6'5" or 7' IMO. Casts more easily and plays fish much better like a flyrod does - longer rod = more fish caught

$40 telescopic from hunting and fishing...job done. Mrs picked one up the other day and it looks just the bizo. a bit flimsy = plenty of bend to help play the fish. we have a $20 warehouse kids rod we bought 15 years ago,the handle was buggered so I cut handle off shovel and drilled hole in end,slipped the rod into this and found old metal rod seat to attach reel with. the number of trout we have landed with that cheap set up would be getting up close to three figures now,it bends like stink so great for playing fish... you dont need heavy rod for trout.