Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mintie

Thread: Air Gun

Air Gun

Need an air gun for my grandson. Don't know anything about them but it will have to kill rabbits.
    He can use a full size rifle.
    Anything for sale?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Get him a Gamo Swarm Magnum in .22 if a you are able to find one Brian. Alloy pellets develop around 1600 FPS with lead a couple of hundred FPS slower but still going quicker than a rim fire standard round.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

i have a ruger airhawk (the metal one not the plastic pos) c/w ruger scope. $350 plus p&p
    fired maybe 100 shots, mostly by dannyb

I will write some advice up for you on the matter tomorrow

Think I have one of these, or something very similar, that got given to me earlier in the year.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_...ro_Piston/1509

Pretty sure it's a Gamo Whisper IGT in .22.
    Last edited by gadgetman; 14-12-2020 at 12:10 AM.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Found it.

Name:  DSC_1538a.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  163.8 KB
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Is it as quiet as it says on the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Is it as quiet as it says on the box?
    I must admit that it is pretty quiet. Doesn't shake and clatter like a springer.

Whats your budget? What sort of range do you want to shoot rabbits at? Will he be holding it or wanting to use it on a bipod/rest?

There is some real junk on the market that is talked up to being good and a massive mark up added to them, and then there is some real honest good quality stuff that is often cheaper, much better made and will last a lot longer. Check out the Cometa Fenix or Fusion ranges, they are great value. I would personally steer clear of anything Gamo, Hatsan, Stoeger etc and look at the Cometa range or some of the German stuff like Diana, Weihrauch and Feinwerkbau.

The next point to make is pellets, do not buy Gamo pellets for a start! I would start with a quality brand sample pack from either H&N or JSB and see what the rifle likes but also remember a new rifle will want to wear in for 500 shots or so before it starts getting good.

Lastly if he is planning to use it on a bipod or rest don't buy a break barrel (spring or gas ram powered) as the shot cycle of them is very hold sensitive usually requiring the artillery hold. If he cant hold it up well due to weight and wants to shoot from a bipod then maybe look at something PCP or CO2 powered like the Crosman 2250 or the SPA CR600w, these have zero recoil and shoot fine off a rest, they may want a few small mods to bump the power up tho.
    mimms2 likes this.

Thanks Mintie. I've got one sorted. It's only for him to use on his own till he's old enough to get his gun licence.