Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By muzza
  • 1 Post By joelhenton
  • 1 Post By mimms2

Thread: Airsoft gas gun

Pure-bred Mutt

Airsoft gas gun

Local young fulla (12) thinks he wants to get into airsoft. Presumably CQB combat-sim but early stages yet. Family doesn't shoot but I've given him a bit of a jam with rifles and I have a few "trainer" pistols to teach him handling but they're steel bb so obviously he can't play them. Might get him along to pistol club too.

Wondering if anyone has an old BB gun (6mm) they'd part with, I'd prefer gas but would consider electric. Or any advice on the "sport" in Northland, NZ, and generally.

My neighbour sells airspt stuff on Trade Me as Airsoft Taranaki. Contact him if you want new stuff
    mimms2 likes this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Check out airsofttrader.co.nz and you might find what you're looking for. Personally I prefer HPA (high pressure air) setups over electric and gas because they need a lot of maintenance and break more frequently. Real firearms are much simpler in design that airsoft guns are haha. HPA is really reliable, which is important in airsoft but start up costs are considerably higher, so likely out of reach for the young fella. There's plenty of brands out there but Tokyo Marui is my pick of the bunch, they're the most reliable electric and gas guns (in my opinion). I'd suggest leaving them stock standard as you'll get a good service life out of them if you don't try to 'upgrade' them. He'll require a guardian at a club field due to the age but a club would be the place to start with airsoft. Not sure what clubs are up in Northland, there's a few in Auckland. ASNZ (Airsoft Sports New Zealand) is a forum for all things airsoft, worth checking out. It probably gets a little less traffic now than it used to with FB groups and clubs starting their own websites. My 2 cents...
    mimms2 likes this.

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by joelhenton View Post
    Check out airsofttrader.co.nz and you might find what you're looking for. Personally I prefer HPA (high pressure air) setups over electric and gas because they need a lot of maintenance and break more frequently. Real firearms are much simpler in design that airsoft guns are haha. HPA is really reliable, which is important in airsoft but start up costs are considerably higher, so likely out of reach for the young fella. There's plenty of brands out there but Tokyo Marui is my pick of the bunch, they're the most reliable electric and gas guns (in my opinion). I'd suggest leaving them stock standard as you'll get a good service life out of them if you don't try to 'upgrade' them. He'll require a guardian at a club field due to the age but a club would be the place to start with airsoft. Not sure what clubs are up in Northland, there's a few in Auckland. ASNZ (Airsoft Sports New Zealand) is a forum for all things airsoft, worth checking out. It probably gets a little less traffic now than it used to with FB groups and clubs starting their own websites. My 2 cents...
    Legend.
    yup found airsoft trader this AM.
    I got scba so could top off pony bottle for him. Just more familiar with gas. air pistol range in town runs hpa too and I suppose if him and a few mates get their paper round money together they could share a set up.
    will check out that forum
    Thx.
    Mintie likes this.

As far as gas pistols go, my best pick for performance and reliability would be the Tokyo Marui Socom pistol. It's super quiet for those stealth shots and because it has no gas blow back function, it's got excellent performance and less moving parts to service and go wrong. It's more of a primary gun because of how long it is but I enjoy using mine. Aftermarket upgrades to the hop-up and barrel are pretty low cost and can really boost the already good maximum range.