Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AzumitH

Thread: AK or entry level AR, or similar

AK or entry level AR, or similar

Hi Y'all, I'm looking for a service rifle that's lighter and cheaper to shoot than the SLR. Given the price of .223 and 7.62x39 It'll have to be one of those. E cat preferably, it looks like crack-downs on semi's may be on the horizon and I'd like to get another before there's some kind of mad rush for permits to procure; we all know how back-logged regular licenses and renewals have been recently, no doubt the same will happen with E cat stuff if all semi's (or all AR's) go that way. Given availability of parts and mags, and superiority for 3-gun (which I'd like to eventually get into) an AR is more sensible, but 7.62x39 ammo can be had cheaper, so I could go either way, I'd be keen to see what's out there and to hear any suggestions. I suppose things like the VZ 58 and Mini 14 are options too. I am trying to keep it under $1500 and am happy to buy second hand.
    Cheers, Tom

...If you want to go down the 3gun path, I think the AR is your only option...
    Ammo is affordable if you buy it from the right place or reload, less recoil for faster follow up shots, and more accurate platform than an AK, and easier to mount optics etc...

If 5.45x39mm starts becoming easier to get your hands on it may be worth considering also. One of the brand new Siaga's advertised on here and the required parts for an Ecat conversion would likely be less than $1500, probably including a few mags.
    Jexla and Skatieguy like this.