Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Anyone looking for an 'interesting' Brno 21?

Anyone looking for an 'interesting' Brno 21?

I spotted this in the Hamilton Guncity this morning. It's mislabelled as a BRNO 600, but it's obviously a BRNO Model 21. I haven't yet told the staff of the mistake. It's been rebarrelled in 6.5 Creedmore by Hardy, with a Hardy barrel. I think Hardy may have also D&T'd the action and mounted the rail. Apparently the previous owner only put around 40rds down the new barrel - he had overbought into the Creedmore hype and was expecting .300WM performance with .243 recoil. When the laws of physics didn't bend to accommodate this, he traded the rifle on something bigger. I can't verify any of this, I'm just passing on what I was told.

Now putting a stainless 6.5CM barrel and a rail is not how I'd treat a BRNO 21, but it might be an interesting proposition for someone. It's currently priced at $1200 and the salesman indicated room for a bit of bargaining on that figure. Assuming it feeds properly and the D&T job under the rail isn't a dogs breakfast, the price probably isn't bad. Stock looks original, and the new barrel looks to have been contoured to fit the original stock profile. Bluing is patchy, no visible serious pitting. Here's some photos.

Name:  20181228_094828.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  1.52 MB

Name:  20181228_094837.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  2.88 MB

Name:  20181228_094909.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  2.17 MB

Name:  20181228_094912.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  1.69 MB

Name:  20181228_094848.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  1.17 MB

Why?

Why would you do this to a classic... admin please move this post to the “Bubba what have you done?” Thread
    Warm Barrels!

I wouldn't pay $600 for it.

There was a mint Brno 21 on Trademe a while back for 2k. Perfect blueing, perfect stock, iron sights etc.

That is an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I wouldn't pay $600 for it.
    For that $600, you could own a perfectly nice rifle, AND get to tell people it was an absolutely mint heirloom that you acquired and 'improved'. I love a good wind up.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yeah, I gave serious thought to posting it in the "Bubba what have you done" thread instead of here. You'll note I didn't leave the shop with it! But look at it this way - if it was listed on Trademe for $600 with the original (but let's say absolutely buggered) barrel, then someone would buy it for that as a rebarrel and refinish prospect. Plenty of people seem to like the 6.5CM, plenty of people also apparently have no problem screwing a stainless barrel onto a classic blued action. If you're one of those people and you got it for around $1000, it starts to look like a reasonable price considering what a rebarrel costs. IF the D&T is neat, and IF if feeds/fire/extracts properly and IF it's not pitted below the stock line and IF it doesn't have any other problems.

At least they fitted a relatively balanced barrel. Could have gone for the 28" zero taper bull barrel, with spiral fluting and muzzle brake just to top it off. Maybe a snazzy camo paint job over the original woodwork?

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Why?

Why would you do this to a classic... admin please move this post to the “Bubba what have you done?” Thread

Yes classic Case of Bubba had a great idea on the moonshine one night and went and committed a heinous act

Butter-knife bolt handles make me swoon. Stainless not so much.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    Yeah, I gave serious thought to posting it in the "Bubba what have you done" thread instead of here. You'll note I didn't leave the shop with it! But look at it this way - if it was listed on Trademe for $600 with the original (but let's say absolutely buggered) barrel, then someone would buy it for that as a rebarrel and refinish prospect. Plenty of people seem to like the 6.5CM, plenty of people also apparently have no problem screwing a stainless barrel onto a classic blued action. If you're one of those people and you got it for around $1000, it starts to look like a reasonable price considering what a rebarrel costs. IF the D&T is neat, and IF if feeds/fire/extracts properly and IF it's not pitted below the stock line and IF it doesn't have any other problems.

At least they fitted a relatively balanced barrel. Could have gone for the 28" zero taper bull barrel, with spiral fluting and muzzle brake just to top it off. Maybe a snazzy camo paint job over the original woodwork?
    Yup agreed. At least you can use it until maybe a more classic barrel could be screwed in?

I always knew that model as the ZG47. In the 70's and 80's I used to see one or two a year, but not much after that. I wonder where they all are now?

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    I always knew that model as the ZG47. In the 70's and 80's I used to see one or two a year, but not much after that. I wonder where they all are now?
    I thought the ZG47 was a large ring action, produced after the 21/22 models. Pivoting type safety on the right hand side of the bolt shroud, no butterknife bolt handle, conventional trigger guard (ie. not shotgun type).

No idea where they all are. That's why this one stuck out on the rack - I don't see them very often. They also had a Steyr Mannlicher M72 there, another uncommon one.

I thought the ZG47 was a large ring action, produced after the 21/22 models. Pivoting type safety on the right hand side of the bolt shroud, no butterknife bolt handle, conventional trigger guard (ie. not shotgun type).

No idea where they all are. That's why this one stuck out on the rack - I don't see them very often. They also had a Steyr Mannlicher M72 there, another uncommon one.

It's definitely not a ZG47 - I had one of those years ago and your description above is correct.

The barrel could be bead blasted and made acceptable but that rail is well, an abomination and a total insult to good taste.

Now putting a stainless 6.5CM barrel and a rail is not how I'd treat a BRNO 21, but it might be an interesting proposition for someone. It's currently priced at $1200
    Tell the salesman you'll take it if he pays you $1200 to.

Yes, I stand corrected. All the ones I saw were ZG47's with the safety on the right side of the bolt shroud, but they definitely had shotgun style guards with double set triggers. They were mostly 7x57 but I remember one in .250/3000. I don't recall ever handling a Brno 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The barrel could be bead blasted and made acceptable but that rail is well, an abomination and a total insult to good taste.
    Yup agreed there.
    the whole acceptance of tactical gear sort of ruins things. @gundoc I'm sure going back a few years most good smiths would've strongly suggested/advised putting a more appropriate base and ring set up on a nice euro action before a picatinny rail-especially if they've milled the action to suit.
    Mind you ive seen some pretty cool pics of really nice bases put on the old P14 actions. Not the same thing I know but if its done with a bit of class surely no harm no foul