Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 1 Post By mucko
  • 2 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 1 Post By The bomb

Thread: Assorted 243 ammo

Assorted 243 ammo

I am after some 100 grain 243 Winchester hunting ammo. Or anything suitable for deer.

I have some 223 to swap if anyone is interested or plain old money.

Cheers

federal blue box 100grn has quite a following on deer..... @deer243

There's a bit of a package going on trademe quite tempting. Has a bit of federal, pack of Norma and Remington etc

I use Fed blue 100 grain to great effect. I dont know if anyone has tried Sellier and Bellot 243 ammo?
    ( anyone got experience on that) , but that might be another economical option.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    I use Fed blue 100 grain to great effect. I dont know if anyone has tried Sellier and Bellot 243 ammo?
    ( anyone got experience on that) , but that might be another economical option.
    Thanks. I have decided to get some fiocchi from gun city. 1 dollar a round. 20 bucks a pack.

I may grab that package. So we'll see what the howa likes.

Otherwise I will try some hornady American white tail.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

i like the whitetail stuff , i found the remington was louder and had more recoil.havent actually got anything yet with the 243 soon i hope.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    i like the whitetail stuff , i found the remington was louder and had more recoil.havent actually got anything yet with the 243 soon i hope.
    What's the grouping like with either round?

White tail ammo has a good rep on terminal performance and accuracy.

whitetail was good about an inch at 100 and that was also dissasembling the rifle for 2 of 5 shots the remington was about 1 and 1/3. am going to try handloading 87gr hpbt for it .

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    whitetail was good about an inch at 100 and that was also dissasembling the rifle for 2 of 5 shots the remington was about 1 and 1/3. am going to try handloading 87gr hpbt for it .
    That's good enough for me. I'll be hand loading 100 grain sierras soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Thanks. I have decided to get some fiocchi from gun city. 1 dollar a round. 20 bucks a pack.

I may grab that package. So we'll see what the howa likes.

Otherwise I will try some hornady American white tail.
    Fiocchi goes alright in the howa, but mine likes 95gr fusion the best next best was superperformance.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Depends what your rifle likes and the range you be shooting at . If you shooting at the extend of the range for a 243 some projectiles are better than others for knockdown power.
    I use Fed Powershok 100gr. They group well in my rifle and are just awesome on everything if you using it at bush ranges etc up to 220m. If you going to be shooting over 200 m normally then there are better.
    The 95 gr SSt is very good as well as norma. Some of the better longer range ammo is useless at close range.
    I started out using norma, i found it pretty darn average at 50-90m shots compared to the Fed powershok(so much better). But i dropped a deer at 300m with the norma no problem and certainly worked better than a soft point at distance like a Fed
    Micky Duck and Russian 22. like this.

about plurry time you chimed in mate...... just knew you would be able to put the man on the right track....nothing like real when experience.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Depends what your rifle likes and the range you be shooting at . If you shooting at the extend of the range for a 243 some projectiles are better than others for knockdown power.
    I use Fed Powershok 100gr. They group well in my rifle and are just awesome on everything if you using it at bush ranges etc up to 220m. If you going to be shooting over 200 m normally then there are better.
    The 95 gr SSt is very good as well as norma. Some of the better longer range ammo is useless at close range.
    I started out using norma, i found it pretty darn average at 50-90m shots compared to the Fed powershok(so much better). But i dropped a deer at 300m with the norma no problem and certainly worked better than a soft point at distance like a Fed
    Cheers. I forgot to get to gun city for the sale so missed out on cheap fiocchi ammo.

I am hopefully going to be reloading 100 grain Sierra projectiles. I have a box of Winchester to use for the time being.
    deer243 likes this.

I have some 100g federal blue box in the garage I think,not keen on posting it though,do you get to Hamilton much?
    Micky Duck likes this.