Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baikal 7.62x39

Baikal 7.62x39

Im looking into getting a single shot Baikal in 7.62x39 for a knock around gun no scope required just the iron sights
    anyone got somthing they might part with

Greetings from Taranaki,
    Just scored one myself in .223 for a Trainer and for a Cobber as he needs a C.fire and on a budget.
    Nice cal the 7.62x39 used it for near 25 yrs. Favourate load is a Hornady 125gr Spire point. This stuff is lightly constructed in the nose and works at moderate 7.62x39 velocity.Some factory stuff available I found just too hard and worked like a mil. solid.Hornady Trainer ammo was available in this cal. recently in 50rd packs. I would pull mil. ball and seat a Hornady and crimp on groove.Shot very well in Mini-Mauser.
    Scope mounts for Baikal are a bit tricky as the dovetails don't go all the way through.Leaves 60mm of D.tail to mount to.The mounts I have seen advertised for these rifles are not suitable in my experience.
    They mount the scope 12mm 1/2" too high giving very poor cheek weld on cheekpiece.
    Here in a alternative.....DX supplies SKU 5543. They go onto the 3/8 dovetails of the Baikal , are a bit longer than the ones offered here in NZ.They offer much more leeway in mounting as well as lower profile than the local offering.With rings on these actions there is no leeway as they are so close together making it difficult to get ideal eye relief.
    The locally offered mounts have had the front of dovetail hooks machined out to go around the rifle dovetail that stops short.
    The one I reccommend ,you will also have to do .A simple job in a milling machine or file with a bit of patience,You need 60mm of contact length with the base a whisker forward of action rear.The rest at front, relieved to go around the area where action dovetail runs out.
    I also drilled in to underneath of base and put a <6mm stud cut from stainless bolt for a recoil stop which enters the groove on top of action.The length of this base(with rings included) is 4" giving much improved leeway for correct eye relief.
    I also miked the action dovetails vs the base itself and used a packer to get the crosshair on centre of bore, no rocket science there for anyone.
    The rifle was hugely stiff to open and close, no problem just fettle a bit off the back of lug the foreend locks onto.A few swipes with file try for ease of opening /closing take off a little more and polish up with wet and dry with a bit of kero.
    That mount I reccommend will cost you Guys about $NZ 9.50 delivered so all good.
    I might shorten the barrel of my rifle as it goes 8 1/4 lb with Weaver 1.5-4.5 x 20 scope, not the lightest for a teenager or old codger either.The trigger on my rifle is surprisingly good, a bit heavy but quite crisp and the overall weight will make it steady for accurate trigger use.These rifles have a surprisingly good reputation for accuracy and being available cheaply are a great option for a first rifle for someone one a budget.Also in my day the only affordable option was a 303 with all the problems of scopes shifting under recoil etc.A very attractive range of cals. available too.
    Good Luck 260 rem thought I would chuck a bit of extra info on your post for other members. Good Hunting... Toni.

Hi
    Yeah I have one in 223 as well a mates 12 year old son is being trained on it I am just after the bigger cal for myself and also the young fellar when we take him on his first big hunt next year we are looking at taking him to Stewart Island for a week
    He comes out pig hunting and deer stalking on a mates farm and the odd overnight trip after Fallow and reds