Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Baikal (or any thick wall) 12 or 20 gauge barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Im still in one piece after using .45/70 through the .12ga...my theory on it..the casehead is the only bit not encircled by the barrel and outer barrel,so in worst case senario where you get a blowback event unless it goes into firing pin hole it will vent outwards across the flat face of action so hopefully the nut behind the but should be relatively OK. aslong as its easier for pressure to escape up the barrel...all should be good.a rimmed case makes life easier to some extent as it takes headspace out of equasion...22hp savage perhaps???? 222 rimmed even???buggered if can see any real difference in way actions swing n lock up between rifle n shotguns.
    Thanks for that information, I still have a liking for the .22 Hornet and biggest game I’m looking at are goats so might go down that track, will have to think about it as in no hurry.
    Regards
    Stu

The 223 will be ok on the shotgun action as small case head, I wouldn’t be scare to use the bigger calibers myself but it might not be 110% safe !

I have messed with these a lot & the rifle barrels action have a slightly different mono block to the early Baikal shotgun barrels but later ones can be fit or be fitted, I have one that is 30/06 223 7.62x39 (was going to be 303) 12ga & maybe in the future .577 SS, the triggers can be polished but most that people work on to be nice are then unsafe !
    Micky Duck and canross like this.

The 223 will be ok on the shotgun action as small case head, I wouldn’t be scare to use the bigger calibers myself but it might not be 110% safe !

I have messed with these a lot & the rifle barrels action have a slightly different mono block to the early Baikal shotgun barrels but later ones can be fit or be fitted, I have one that is 30/06 223 7.62x39 (was going to be 303) 12ga & maybe in the future .577 SS, the triggers can be polished but most that people work on to be nice are then unsafe !

Oh the 223 barrel I had was going to be rechambered to 220 Swift as has small rim & a bit more power.
    canross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post

Oh the 223 barrel I had was going to be rechambered to 220 Swift as has small rim & a bit more power.
    Thanks for that information Scout much appreciated, it will be a project for a rainy day.
    Cheer’s
    Stu