Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hotbarrels

Thread: Bee hives and bee boxes/frames

Bee hives and bee boxes/frames

Gday team. Bit off topic but seems a few hunters are into bees or know people that are. I'm in need of a few new hives and a heap of boxes and frames to top up my stuff. If anyone knows anybody with some bee gear for sale I'd appreciate a chance to chat. Would prefer good quality second hand as new stuff is bloody expensive.
    Thanks,
    Josh

Only problem with second hand is the risk of AFB.
    Lewy_louie likes this.

Yeah for sure mate. An educated gamble generally by looking at disease history etc and then precautions like running any new gear separate for a season first. That's my idea anyway. Unsure if it holds up?

The biggest transmitter of AFB is the bee keeper and his tools, so you need to run two sets of gear (suit, smoker, hive tool, gloves, etc) that never come into contact with each other.
    If you go to all the effort of splitting hives and getting them up to speed, or buying splits, if one of these gets AFB due to contaminated gear and you do the right thing an burn it, the cost of the lost hive(s) soon pays for the assurance of buying new hive ware.

2nd hand boxes arent worth the risk. Unless you were buying an entire operation which is a bit different.

Yes AFB is said to be a Beekeepers disease but this is NOT always true. Strong hives are sometimes victims of AFB if they rob a infected hive. I received a Rob- out notice today for one of my sites
    You dont need multiple sets of gear for your own hives. If you were to have a quarantine hive site (swarms or purchased nuc's) sure you take steps to not allow cross contamination.
    I wear Nitrile gloves which are thrown out at each apiary site.

What are you running currently. 3/4, FD, Plastic frames or natural?
    I build my own when i have time but sometimes its cheaper/efficient to buy off wholesalers.
    Local guy here makes boxes
    Flat pack full depth $16.00, flat pack 3/4 $15.00. Full depth assembled $17.00, 3/4 assembled $16.00. All prices include gst.
    You can get them from Ecrotek Ceracell as well.
    If you are really hard up buy the Budget boxes from Ecrotec about $10.50-70 they are seconds grade timber.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Only problem with second hand is the risk of AFB.
    +1

Make sure your treating them in parafin wax, 160C for 10mins to kill off any AFB and or other diseases. Unfortunately the industry is now rife with people that will pull a swifty if given the chance.

Thanks heaps team. All helpful stuff. Reindeer where are you based? Those are cheap assembled boxes. Not dipped I assume?
    Josh