Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best GPS

Best GPS

Hi what is the best cheap base model gps for general hunting without spending lots of $$$$

Whatever the base model colour screen GARMIN is. Etrex something-something. Make sure itís a Garmin and can take maps. Maps are free.

Will flick you a pm. Have Garmin Oregon with topo maps I'm just about to list.
    ishift4u likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Whatever the base model colour screen GARMIN is. Etrex something-something. Make sure it’s a Garmin and can take maps. Maps are free.
    What he said garmin etrex 30 $499 or cheaper.......or if you dont need a mapping one etrex 10 $179 or cheaper

You can often get them out of the states for under the duty/gst limit, even including postage.
    Shearer likes this.

Sorry, bit of a hijack, but how do the receivers on the latest phones compare to the standard GPS these days?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I've got a $300 Motorola G3. It shits all over my Garmin 60gsx. It uses GPS plus the glonass system. I don't use my Garmin any more. Just downloaded the nztopo map app and I'm good to go. I was dubious at first about using my phone in lieu of a dedicated GPS but I've been using it for a couple of years now. It's bloody good.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Sorry, bit of a hijack, but how do the receivers on the latest phones compare to the standard GPS these days?
    Pretty good actually. My mate uses his iphone5(?) with a download of topomap and i've been pretty impressed how well it gets signal. He does carry one of those usb battery packs to top up the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    He does carry one of those usb battery packs to top up the phone.
    Great idea, my first gps was a farming 62s still got it and use it. The new ones are coming out with an internal battery rather than a pair of double aa, pain in the arse on a long trip

I have an old 60csx, of note is that I rarely actually use it while away hunting other than to play snake game whilst bored at camp, but I always carry it and always mark where camp is which has came in handy. On the tops above the Perth river and the cloud rolled in, visibility was literally only about 6 or 7 meters at the most plus it was getting dark, made a bee line down towards camp and ended up completely lost, if I hadn't of had my GPS it could have been a very long night

I’ve got NZ Topo downloaded on my iPhone 7 and works as well as my 62s with the bonus of having my shooting app and camera all on one device.Wont use a gps again.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Iíve got NZ Topo downloaded on my iPhone 7 and works as well as my 62s with the bonus of having my shooting app and camera all on one device.Wont use a gps again.
    Same for me. Just use the phone. It got a real test in a steep valley in South Westland a few years ago. Worked perfectly in mature bush and steep creeks and canyons.
    And as above I have all my other useful stuff on the phone anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Excellent.
    I have the SI NZ topo on my phone but haven't tried to use it in the bush yet. If it does work well I may be ditching the dedicated GPS too.
    Last edited by Shearer; 08-01-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I used topo maps on my phone in the pouring rain the other day. the problem I had was that the capacitive touch screen on the phone starts going spastic once it gets water and debris on it. I think I will try get a dedicated one as it was fairly painful trying to get it to do what I wanted.

Excellent.
    I have the SI NZ topo on my phone but haven't tried to use it in the bush yet. If it does work well I may be ditching the dedicated GPS too.
    Make sure you put your phone on airplane mode.Will save battery
    Shearer likes this.