Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Big bore muzzleloader rifle barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I assume it comes with the standard Landrover warranty - only covered till its carried/pushed off the lot.
    Haha. Nice one. The iron tubing is thick-walled, for safety I just assume it is mild steel. Mild steel is comparable to the wrought iron that smoothbore muskets were all made of. Hardenable high carbon steel was not used till the 1860s when the Bessemer process made this available on a large scale. Colt was one of the first to use it for his revolver cylinders which took hot loads, and from about the civil war on carbon steel was "it" for guns. Suffice it to say, wrought iron/mild steel is for black powder only.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I assume it comes with the standard Landrover warranty - only covered till its carried/pushed off the lot.
    Hahaha @akaroa1 and I met a guy (up on Mt Peel) who told us the "best ever" Land-rover story. As I recall it he owned a late model Land-rover, something like a 2016 beastie. It broke down so he towed it into the Rangiora LR garage. After not hearing from them for a week he rang - "not yet fixed" they said. After two weeks he rang again - they said "come an tow it away, we can't fix it, and by the way, there will be a $4K bill" I think the aftermath was that the garage up the road fixed it for a further $500. This tells us something about Land-rover owners I suspect . . . .
    Cordite likes this.

So I took it out after lunch as I'm having the afternoon off, and put 12 rounds through it. Id forgotton how much fun it is to shoot, and that I hadn't repaired the front sight after it got shortened a bit by accident.
    Target at 75 yards with 7 fired at it standing for the stunning figure of merit of 5.6
    The group has a 13 inch spread
    Yes I'd used the target before but figured out I could distinguish between the two by the size of the hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 07-04-2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Corrected mistake
    akaroa1 and Cordite like this.

I hunt, therefore I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    If happy to settle for smoothbore, a land rover discovery steering drag link is perfect for .577
    I was going to say.... I have a Ford rear half-shaft. Only 30" or so though...
    Cordite likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I was going to say.... I have a Ford rear half-shaft. Only 30" or so though...
    https://www.anvilfire.com/21st-centu...unkyard-steel/

Name:  jnkstee1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  189.4 KB
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." Groucho Marx

@Cordite I'm thinking of going in the opposite direction to a junkyard steel muzzleloader

4140 or 4340 steel barrels
    John at Vulcan can drill 4340 no worries
    So There is potential for very thin barrel walls due to the strength and resistance to barrel burst
    Lots of problems though
    I want .58 or bigger so need drills, reamers and buttons
    Or cut rifling and a bigger rifling cutter head
    And I'm also keen on gain twist so that's a whole other level of complication
    So what decade do I want to do this ?
    Yesterday
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    @Cordite I'm thinking of going in the opposite direction to a junkyard steel muzzleloader

4140 or 4340 steel barrels
    John at Vulcan can drill 4340 no worries
    So There is potential for very thin barrel walls due to the strength and resistance to barrel burst
    Lots of problems though
    I want .58 or bigger so need drills, reamers and buttons
    Or cut rifling and a bigger rifling cutter head
    And I'm also keen on gain twist so that's a whole other level of complication
    So what decade do I want to do this ?
    Yesterday
    Sounds cutting edge a hundred or more years late. Not sure I can help you there. If you want to muzzle load and play with black powder you'd only need mild steel, you could purchase ready lengths of seamless steam/hydraulic pipe to reduce the amount of machining/drilling needed. Using a high grade steel for handling BP / cast boolits seems unnecessarily headachy ... but so is a lot of what I do myself. (-:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    So I took it out after lunch as I'm having the afternoon off, and put 12 rounds through it. Id forgotton how much fun it is to shoot, and that I hadn't repaired the front sight after it got shortened a bit by accident.
    Target at 75 yards with 7 fired at it standing for the stunning figure of merit of 5.6
    The group has a 13 inch spread
    Yes I'd used the target before but figured out I could distinguish between the two by the size of the hole.
    "Minute-of-Redcoat". Is that with Minies or patched ball?