Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TheChosenOne
  • 1 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By Biggun708
  • 1 Post By Blisters

Thread: Bipod

Bipod

Hi guys,

Now that ive got my .22 ( thanks @Blisters ) - I need a bipod. Nothing too expensive, Looking to keep it around 100 bucks if possible, best value bipods out there? have seen 'clones' of some good brands, what is the general opinion on these?

Seems like something that wont die with use so thinking buying used would be the way to go.

Anyone with a bipod too many that would like to sell?

Also, do all bipods fit all guns? its a universal fit right?

thanks fellas

Jan
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

SiB
    You gets what you pays for

General fitting is the type that goes onto sling mounts.

In my experience the budget clone are prone to either lose parts if they’ve not used quality nylon nuts (you can remedy) or the frame will begin to bend under pressure loading from use (a real pain you can’t easily remedy)

You’ll never regret buying a Harris second hand set imho. I’ve got two and they’re awesome. My shorty Remington branded ones have not lasted well and will need replacing.

Buy once, cry once.

Keep watching on here I’ll bet somebody will offer you some

Yes you could get away with a cheap set on your .22 - until you start trying to shoot at little further....

My 2c worth

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    You gets what you pays for

General fitting is the type that goes onto sling mounts.

In my experience the budget clone are prone to either lose parts if they’ve not used quality nylon nuts (you can remedy) or the frame will begin to bend under pressure loading from use (a real pain you can’t easily remedy)

You’ll never regret buying a Harris second hand set imho. I’ve got two and they’re awesome. My shorty Remington branded ones have not lasted well and will need replacing.

Buy once, cry once.

Keep watching on here I’ll bet somebody will offer you some

Yes you could get away with a cheap set on your .22 - until you start trying to shoot at little further....

My 2c worth
    Thanks for the reply! That does make sense, I guess it's something that you could always use on several different guns too, since one size fits all. And also that means only have to buy one so probably worth getting something decent then! Alright, the search is on for a used Harris bipod then. Anyone?

Universal to a point. Also consider where and how you will be using it. The fit may be universal to firearms but the height may not be to the conditions. I use a tall one to get over the tussock and rocks, but a short one is good for prone shooting longer distances.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Universal to a point. Also consider where and how you will be using it. The fit may be universal to firearms but the height may not be to the conditions. I use a tall one to get over the tussock and rocks, but a short one is good for prone shooting longer distances.
    To a point? how so?

Yep this will just be for bench shooting, dont see myself ever taking a bipod into the the bush to be honest.

I got Harris S-BRM, works with all my rifles, and I always shoot in a range, so the heights been perfect.
    gadgetman likes this.

man, these are expensive...

SiB
    I have a short (dodgy) quality one for bench shooting and a couple of 25” Harris for wallabies. I can sit down n take a level shot or lie down and shoot uphill. The 25” ones are 13” unextented which usually work ok for a bench or across the bonnet type shot

If you’re bush hunting don’t even bother putting it on - extra weight etc.

If you’re starting out just do the hunting and keep your ears and eyes open for a bargain. In the meantime use your bumbag/backpack if you’re out bunny shooting at longer ranges whilst you save up.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    To a point? how so?

The fit may be universal to firearms but the height may not be to the conditions.
    Yep this will just be for bench shooting, dont see myself ever taking a bipod into the the bush to be honest.
    If you get into longer range or open country you will often want a bipod. Sounds like something short will be right for your most immediate use.
    TheJanitar likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Don't bother... They're a nuisance...
    Steve123 likes this.

Go shoot howick 22 club and get to know How the gun shoots without a bipod first, on the station for bunnys and possums we don't use a bipod, we use a 223 for long range stuff .22 for 50m to 75m odd
    ����
    Biggun708 likes this.