Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By muzza
  • 2 Post By Boaraxa

Thread: Black merino Sheep - small flock

Black merino Sheep - small flock

I have a small flock of black merino sheep that need a new home . There are 16 of them , mixed ages and genders,varying degrees of cross-breeding from black perendale to nearly full merino.

Includes 4 of this seasons ram lambs with tails and nuts so may suit someone with a hunting concession or fenced operation.Also one entire ram from last season.

As a bonus , they are very tasty sheep for the freezer.

If anyone is interested i can email pics , but a black sheep is a black sheep is a black sheep.....

Price dependant on numbers etc.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Are they friendly enough for a "mainlander" to get the rear legs in his Redbands.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Are they friendly enough for a "mainlander" to get the rear legs in his Redbands.
    They won't be used to the southern man's gentle persuasive ways....
    tetawa likes this.

I dont believe any of them would fall for the barely-literate , slobbering courtship rituals of anyone wearing redbands on a date , guys - not even the wether .....
    tetawa likes this.

ok so by black merino I take it they were Arapawa island stock origonally.... if so yes they sure are tasty wee critters...we run a small 20-30ish flock of that type down here.
    added bonus with them on a small lifestyle block,you will have bugga all weeds as they prefer dock to clover!!!!
    didnt believe that one myself till noticed the docks had completely gone from the 20ha they were grazing in,and the broom got a hell of a hiding as well,all small stuff got munched upon and didnt get a chance to get more than 6" high.....the sheep have been out of that block for 6 months and the weed growth has to be seen to be believed.
    if we werent so far apart swapsies would be possible.
    if you have relo's down here who want a couple of mine....Ive got relo's in taumarunui..... got any starving uni students in Dunedin/Christchurch perhaps????

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Iv heard storeys of what happens after the lion red is consumed ...Black sheep = Kingcountry Geto Booty
    tetawa and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

More Pitt Island merino than Arapawa. I have tried to stay away from the multicoloured Arapawa type , although the current ram - who isnt included in the deal because he belongs to another guy and we swapped rams for a year or two - is supposedly a French Merino and does throw spotty lambs. None of the rams I kept entire are spotty though.

they are both origonally from same saxton merino stock.... you get spotty lambs more if you put std ram over the black ewes
    we have arapawa ram ,some ewes ,some gotland ewes and plain old white perindale/romney types they white threw white lambs and the coloureds threw liqourish allsorts!!!!