Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By m101a1
  • 3 Post By muzza
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By Jmac
  • 1 Post By lee308

Thread: Bolt action 22lr

nck

Bolt action 22lr

I'm new to this site and to hunting. I'm looking for a 22 for my first rifle because I have friends who'll take me out possum shooting and that seems like a good way to get started.

There's a package deal for a Savage b22 at hunting and fishing for 650 that I'm thinking of getting but I thought I'd ask on here first if there's anyone local with a 22 they'll let go of for up to that price.

I'm after a bolt action with a synthetic stock (because it can get wet and is lighter?) and still in great condition. I want to skip getting a cheap norinco or rossi and go for something mid range that I'll still enjoy using years from now. If there's nothing out there, I'll go in and get the savage later this week unless someone has a better recommendation for that price. The marlin xt package is only 500 but it doesn't come suppressed or threaded.

I just bought my self a ruger from fun city and very happy syn stock nice action threaded and has a rail installed cost 850 and shoots very well , has an adjustable trigger and it takes all my 10/22 mags as well also has a replaceable stock comb .
    timattalon likes this.

I would buy a JW15 with all the fruit from one of the many sellers on Trade Me . You can wear out a .22 rifle , and theres plenty of good JW15 rifles there all the time for not a lot of money
    The Doctor : 'Immortality isn't living forever. That's not what it feels like. Immortality is everybody else dying."

Fun city had JW15's a while ago for $375 with 5 shot mag, budget scope and suppresor. Scope is ok but a pig to sight in, once done it works just fine though.

nck
    I've heard very mixed reviews on the jw15s. A mate of mine bought one recently and had to return it because it kept jamming. That's why I'm thinking I'm better of spending a little more.

Brands to look for would be Marlin, and Toz in that price bracket (The 78 model not the 17s. ) I would off to sell you one but I am all out and almost no one ever sells them after buying one (That should tell you something too....) Savage are quite good too. Try looking on trade me for ideas but if you are new, I would probably suggest new from a shop or here from a good bugger near you. You will likely need help with set up and operation to get the best out of it and warranties can be handy for people who are new.

Get an earlier wood-stocked JW15 and you will have no troubles. Remember verbal reviews are invariably courtesy of someone whose brother knew a guy who talked to someone whose cousin met a guy who said he saw it happen . About as reliable as a statement from the Police Minister or an article on Stuff.....
    The Doctor : 'Immortality isn't living forever. That's not what it feels like. Immortality is everybody else dying."

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Get an earlier wood-stocked JW15 and you will have no troubles. Remember verbal reviews are invariably courtesy of someone whose brother knew a guy who talked to someone whose cousin met a guy who said he saw it happen . About as reliable as a statement from the Police Minister or an article on Stuff.....
    Nailed it!!!!!

just buy a jw15, if you want to pretty it up sand the stock and then use a good wood oil. best bang for your buck by a long way but sooner or later you will want a semi
    timattalon likes this.

Yeah those jw15s are actually not bad rifles, probably smoked more critters with that than any other rifle. Find a brand of ammo that works well with it and learn the bullet drop and you'll be smoking shit in no time!
    timattalon likes this.

Jewcati likes this.

I would look look out for a CZ on yellowsite. My CZ452 has bagged many a possum. You can pick up a used one relatively inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would rather be shot out of a cannon, than squeezed out of a tube.

COLFO / SSANZ / WPC / NZCCC

Walking my rifle
    i got a 16" barreled JW15 you can have for 250, synthetic stock.
    Walking my rifle

Get a JW15 good break in rifle.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

nck
    Thanks for all the advice. I've just picked up a second hand marlin xt-22.