Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Bow wanted, cheapish

Anyone got a cheapish compound bow for a beginner, dont want to spend more than $400 for a complete set-up. Want to be able to bowl a deer when i get accurate with it. Or should i just buy one of those PSE deer hunter bows from archery direct new? cheers

What length of draw and poundage are you after?

29 inch 60+ ideally. cheers mate

Send possom trapper a pm hes got too many
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Tim
    Give Greg at Archery Direct a call. He'll have something for that budget for sure.

Or Simon at Advanced Archery.
    Getting older is compulsory, growing up is entirely optional.

yeah i have had a chat with greg. Still would like something second hand so i can get something half decent for a lowish price

Tim
    Fair enough. The guys at advanced may know of some second hand stuff going.
    Getting older is compulsory, growing up is entirely optional.

I picked up a 55lb compoud from Archery Direct for $200. Just to muck around with. There are a few more expensive options they have there. Worth checking out the website.

I struggle to hit a stuffed plastic bag at 40m twice in a row :s but it's a bit of fun.

Archery Products & Supplies NZ | Hamilton Archery Equipment New Zealand

Graeme Warrender at BOP Bowhunting supplies is also worth a call.

cheers guys, i have bought a bow, im stoked. should have a few goats by the end of november if all goes to plan and it doesnt get lost in the post

Dude if you're taking up bowhunting, buy the best gear you can afford and have it set up by a professional, you won't be disappointed... just some advice... don't buy from Archery Direct, the guy knows jack shit about archery and bowhunting..theres a couple of dealers in NZ that have been around for donkey's years who know what they're doing, Arrowhead Archery is your best bet or Advanced Archery as an alternative

Yep ended up getting pretty good gear, it has accounted for quite a few animals now. Got it all set up at advanced archery, Simon bullivant is a good guy.
    My mate robin hooded an arrow at 35 last week the bugger! I haven't managed it yet but getting a bit tired of shooting groups and ruining my fletchers so all is well

thats great! Yep Simon is good at what he does, has a lot of experience. So, what did you get?

A pse brute x, ripcord drop away rest and a 5 pin truglo sight, I use a carter 2 shot release aid.
    How about you mate?
    What broadheads are you using? I'm thinking about sitting the bullet and buying some helix heads for strictly deer and using my muzzys for everything else, they get blunt quickly

I have a Pearson Stealth 2 with a trophy ridge drop zone rest and super slam sight, shooting Gold Tip 7595 arrows and muzzy 100 grain broadheads... so far one of the best setups i've shot, although my previous bow, Pearson z34 comes a very close second.
    I've just been given my new bow and have'nt shot any game with it yet, have shot a shit load of deer, pigs and small game with my z34 though.
    Off to Go Bush in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed i'll get my usual deer on the first evening and then bring on the roar!!!

Oh, nothing wrong with muzzy's too... i've been using them for years and rate them as one of the best broadheads on the market, sure they don't stand up to hitting rocks etc but you shouldn't use blunt broadheads anyway, except on bunnies and possums... muzzys fly extremely well and have fantastic penetration.
    I always carry spare blades with me and change them out when i shoot a deer or pig and just use the dull ones for smaller game such as wallabies and the like.
    At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you use as long as your arrows are flying straight and you can shoot tight groups out to 40 metres with them consistently