Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Dr. Watson
  • 3 Post By Driverman

Thread: BRNO 581 22

BRNO 581 22

I have a BRNO 581 22 semi auto with silencer and GAMO scope that doesn't get a lot of use these days, The neighbor has offered me $400.00 and he seems to think this is a good price. Doesn't seem that good to me but I may be wrong. Its a pretty old rifle but shoots well and has been very reliable. It has a bit of wear here and there but overall is tidy.Name:  20170110_163657.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  265.5 KBName:  20170110_163717.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  281.6 KBName:  20170110_163729.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  232.8 KB I thought I would get your opinion.

Oh dear a zkm 581! nearly bought one of these brand new(1980), but got a unique instead. Loverly semi, the 581 cant advise on price but you will regret selling it as you wont get another as well made.

400 would be about right- fairly well used but in tidy condition.
    mudgripz and Tim Dicko like this.

There's one in serious shooters with 699 on the tag

I did exactly the same MH - Brno in one shop and Unique in another shop

Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    I have a BRNO 581 22 semi auto with silencer and GAMO scope that doesn't get a lot of use these days, The neighbor has offered me $400.00 and he seems to think this is a good price. Doesn't seem that good to me but I may be wrong. Its a pretty old rifle but shoots well and has been very reliable. It has a bit of wear here and there but overall is tidy. I thought I would get your opinion.
    I have one of these in original near new condition made in 1959. They're made to a high standard, better than the BRNO 511 (made by CZ) which followed. The barrel on yours has been threaded and therefore it has no serious collectable value. It also appears to have some surface rust on the trigger guard/magazine housing, although it may just be the picture. The woodwork looks in good condition.

I think it's worth about $500 with the scope. You can't buy any modern semi that remotely comes close to the quality of the ZKM 581 especially for $400. However, parts are obsolete and very difficult to obtain. The magazines are just about impossible to get and command a really high price when they do appear. If it was in original, unaltered condition then it would be worth a lot more.
    "The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the .257 Bob. I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal

Yes, there is some surface rust on the trigger guard etc. It is easily removed ,but this was a working gun and altho well maintained did see regular use and is very accurate and well balanced . I bought this with the barrel already threaded so am not worried about being collectable. I did think the $400.00 was a bit low so will go back to the neighbor. I had had this apart for the last year or so due to replacing the tiny spring tensioning the safety button and just put it back together recently. I took it to the range for a bit of a workout and was really pleased to see the good groups with the various ammo used. The CCI std stuff is still the best. I once bought 50000 rounds of Aguilla about 45 years ago from a Taranaki dealer and found a box with about 25 rounds left so shot them off, wow They were loud even with the silencer on. Must have improved with age like the owner.
    Thanks for your comments and information guys ,much appreciated

put it on tm it my supprise you what its worth if i had the spare dollars at the moment id buy it

I decided to keep it. Neighbor upped his offer to $500.00 .I'm still keeping it. Took it to the range and was pleased with the group at about 100 yards with CCI subs. I'm getting all keen again.
    Gibo, Tommy and T Bone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    I decided to keep it. Neighbor upped his offer to $500.00 .I'm still keeping it. Took it to the range and was pleased with the group at about 100 yards with CCI subs. I'm getting all keen again.
    This does happen. Bet the neighbour is pissadointed.
    I used to have a handle on Life - but it broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Oh dear a zkm 581! nearly bought one of these brand new(1980), but got a unique instead. Loverly semi, the 581 cant advise on price but you will regret selling it as you wont get another as well made.
    @Marty Henry Just out of interest can u remember what u paid for your X51. Found an old catalog for Sportways the other day of around 80s vintage and the Uniques were very very serious money back then.

I have an 851. Great gun. They don't make them like this anymore. Make sure you keep the action clean and use a dry lube or you can get missfires when the spring does not release at full strength.