Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Cowboy
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Browning BLR Lightning

Browning BLR Lightning

My much loved BLR is for sale. This rifle has always been my first love(don't tell my wife). I've always boasted that I just have to show her a deer and she'll sort this shit out. Bit picture heavy but hey, we all like pics.
    A few bruises on her. Could do with a good clean up. Little minor rust spots and a couple of dings on the barrel from a big spill a few years back(shown in pic).
    Not sure what they're worth but I'll ask 1k as I'm struggling to let go but need to to fund a farkenstein i intend to make. Doesn't come with that scope, just rings.
    Got loads more pics of her kills but gotta go through acres of pics so these'll do unless someone must see more

last pic was just a few weeks ago in the Kaimanawas.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    308, homebrew.357, WallyR and 1 others like this.

Anyone looking for a blr. This is still in my safe and needs to be walked regularly. It's upsetting me to see her undressed(scoreless)

You WILL regret it mate.......... so many guys have sold a rifle that they have great memories with then years later try to find another like it to get back to what they had....
    Cordite and xtightg like this.

I agree, keep it as you will regret it. Find something else to sell which you don't love as much.
    Once gone you will never get her back.

What calibre is it anyway.

Was that tape, or do you have a camo stock for her?

Nah tape mate. Giveaways been a big fan of camo on rifles. Sounds weird but always worked for me. I think it something to do with how much you move a rifle around as you hunt.
    It's a 243. Gotta try new stuff but hard to change from a rifle that's always worked faultlessly and been lucky.

Fuck i love me some 243 blr. I had one years back and it never missed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So what's the build and why are you changing? Has your hunting spot changed? Want a different caliber?
    Why not just change the barrel if it's the caliber. .358
    Sorry I can't really talk as I've a Belgium made .243 BLR sitting in the safe.....but I did go back to a BSA that I once owned.....nar I'm domed
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Yes, don't tell your wife...

Name:  34728_original.png
Views: 121
Size:  41.3 KB

Not a flash build, just a super short sav 308 on a lss chassis with a dpt sup. Going to left bolt for a change. Generally pretty unimpressed with bolts for speed of reload and ergonomics of safety compared to the rolling hammer on the blr. Light though. You guys are probably right. It wouldn't be hard to change back.

hmmmmm you COULD buy a rossi single 08 for a lot less,keeps the hammer set up,lets you suppress and have very short,light bush rifle and keep your first love for open country work etc etc.

Yep that hammer is a joy to hunt with.
    Very quite and safe. With mine if you slip while trying to cock it it still won't go off.
    I've tried everything on an empty chamber to get it to fire and still that hammer just goes to half cock.
    Cleaning the cogs is best done with a feather. Used to save a few from duck shooting for that chore.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

The bergara scout is a nice bit of kit

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Yep that hammer is a joy to hunt with.
    Very quite and safe. With mine if you slip while trying to cock it it still won't go off.
    I've tried everything on an empty chamber to get it to fire and still that hammer just goes to half cock.
    Cleaning the cogs is best done with a feather. Used to save a few from duck shooting for that chore.
    Just the way it folds forward to cover the pin base, It fits snug in the crook between your thumb and index finger so you can always feel it safe. Fantastic design. Cleaning is the only true downside to that rifle but with a little care it has never missed a beat and man can I reload and fire fast. We had a tongue in cheek fire and reload comp a few years back when we got trapped by some weather and hut fever was setting in. A well known forum member with top skills(undoubted) reckon he could shoot faster with his bolt. Another member in the hut claimed he'd never beat the blr, so I was challenged. I was so confident I gave to to the other mate. Even though he carried a bolt normally he still had three dry fired and reloaded before the sec dry fire happened on the bolt. So funny hearing the action stop and the a click as the bolt did it's second. All friendly but it highlighted how well the design works. Shame they keep getting called lever action as they're actually considered lever operated bolt actions.

Never loved the break opens Mickey. Even for my pig gun I changed up to a rossi lever(which was nothing special). Always feel I need another shot ready to go at an instant.

funny thing about break opens/single shots....... I carry bolt action more often than not for deer etc a pump for ducks yet if you give me a single barrel shotgun I will seldom miss...single barrel rifle is the same.... you know you only have the one shot so you aim the plurry thing not get first shot off in general direction KNOWING the 2nd is there to use.I cant actually think of last time I needed 2nd shot on a deer in a hurry,even with the BLR the 2nd didnt get fired as it was too late on one I missed... you can reload a break open resonably quickly if you go to a rimmed cartridge make that really quickly. the bakails can be carried uncocked too,same procedure as the BLR except you hold cocking/opening lever instead of a hammer,when you want to fire you squeeze it up again and good to go,better and safer than a safety catch by far....as for 2nd shot in a hurry,my dream bush rifle is a SxS BAKAIL IN .45/70 LOL.