Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Browning maxus semi auto 3.5" wanted.

I've been doing my research etc and have settled on the maxus semi auto and would like a maxus 3.5" model
    Do you think there are any around ... Nope.
    I Rang the distributer after many phone calls to retailers to see what's up and thy are not even bringing any 3.5" in...AT ALL. Very limited stock approach in NZ. Hmmm, have they given up to a400's??

The maxus is at a nice price point at around $2000-2200 so cheaper than an a400 etc.

I like the maxus as it seems like a slim nicely weighted gun that still packs a punch but can't seems to locate one. Any suggestions? Anyone got one they want to trade out off that would stand up to a check?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about the 3.5" thing mate but a friend has a Maxus and I like it, if I was in the market I'd forgo another Benelli and get the Browing. nice and light, comes up well and the mag cutoff thingy is great... Good luck in your search

Have you tried Bronco's in Tauranga, last time I checked they had a few of them on the rack, not sure if they were 3.5" though.

Got a Maxus at the farm, love it, light, points well, never any issues and looks good too!
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Thanks for the endorsements for the gun. Keen to get one but none on offer. Yes broncos had some but run out. The distributor for NZ is risk adverse and won't bring them in....the stores just try to talk you in to something else. I'll just wait for one to come up...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Have you tried Bronco's in Tauranga, last time I checked they had a few of them on the rack, not sure if they were 3.5" though.

Got a Maxus at the farm, love it, light, points well, never any issues and looks good too!
    Do you have the 3" or 3.5"?

3.5" (I think). Not at farm so can't check either.

Are you shooting over a lake or pond anda re you targeting geese? do you really need the 3.5" chambering is what I am asking here.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Ducks rabbits mostly and hopefully some geese but I get your point. However My main mission is never to have to buy another gun.
    In support of your comment I note that In the 1980's as a kid I shot a lot of geese with an old side by side.......
    Not over pond mostly on farm.

Thanks for your comments. I went with the 3" maxus hunter in the end - not many around. 28"

Great gun, I've had one in synthetic for a couple of seasons now, also shot it's fair share of rabbits in that time, it's never missed a beat, light, points well for me.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My Silver Hunter is 3.5" ,very similar design to the Maxus but needs some camo tape over the shiny silver receiver or a gun sock like I use. Might get a good 2nd hand around a K .
    Gun control means using both hands

Thanks again for your comments. I'm picking the maxus up on Friday .... Can't wait. And while I'd like to have the 3.5" I'm not sure I would've ever used it much,... Maybe there's a slight difference in the weight and therefore recoil control but .....would have to be good to pick it. Has anyone mounted a hunting touch on the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    Thanks again for your comments. I'm picking the maxus up on Friday .... Can't wait. And while I'd like to have the 3.5" I'm not sure I would've ever used it much,... Maybe there's a slight difference in the weight and therefore recoil control but .....would have to be good to pick it. Has anyone mounted a hunting touch on the barrel?
    I tried it once with the P7 and the P7 mounting thinggy. I was shooting goats coming back from duck shooting one night as they ran through the swamp, fell off pretty fast but I reckon a bit of tape it shouldn't move. the mount just doesnt hold the touch tight enough.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Got my 3" maxus today. Took it out on the farm to see some rabbits...1st shot success. Browning would be proud. Nice weight and cycled the 23/4 mini magnum loads well as you would expect. Too early to say much but....nice.

My synthetic in action
    Name:  claybirds 1.jpg
Views: 8642
Size:  59.4 KB
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    A few guys I shoot with use these

Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Use two per torch and through the ribs, stay in place well.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!