Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By matto1234
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Sideshow

Thread: Browning /Miroku Lever action 308

Browning /Miroku Lever action 308

Cobber is after the above, needs to be in good condition or better, any configuration and/or threaded considered.

Thanks

Huk
    There was 1 at the nth arm hut hanging up he could have had couple of years ago just kidding

One on TM with two barrels.

Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

thats a tidy rifle and so far a tiny price....
    tetawa likes this.

its on my watchlist but with TM . . . who knows what will happen. He's not looking for "cheap", "good" or even new is preferable!

they are around.....keep looking.

veitnamcam likes this.

Only downside is the hard to find magazine in that model. ( TM one)

That trade me one is a browning first generation made in Belgium not sure where they got Miroku from?
    Edit sorry just saw that the Japanese made ones where made in the Miroku factory.
    Last edited by Sideshow; 12-09-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    tetawa likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

What's the difference between the Miroku and Browning - is one "better"?

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    What's the difference between the Miroku and Browning - is one "better"?
    Yes, Miroku.

debatable...miroku have been making fine firearms for just as long if not longer than Browning....both are great rifles. brand snobbery aside there is no real difference.
    tetawa and Got-ya like this.

No real difference between the two.

Here’s an article on them that I found. Also hunting with Hobby has a very in-depth article on them and how to date them.

Here’s some history on them.

The BLR is a lot like many bolt action rifles because multiple locking lugs on the head of the bolt rotate into the breech end of the receiver/ barrel to create a very strong action. On the first models, the bolt lugs locked into grooves in the receiver, but the later grooves are part of the barrel. More on that later. It also has a very smooth short throw lever which incorporates the trigger system into the lever assembly, thereby eliminating finger jams. I must admit I have never had a problem with finger jams when working a lever action , but it must exist for some. The BLR also has a unique rack and pinion lever system for actuating and moving the bolt and completing the loading/unloading and cocking cycle. If there is a draw back to the BLR, it is this system, which requires extreme knowledge to remove, replace and time for safe and proper performance. It can be done at home, but I do not recommend it for the faint at heart. I will get into this issue later, but I encourage you not to do it.

The receiver on earlier models is steel and on later models is a light weight alloy. For the sake of easy writing, let’s call it an aluminum alloy receiver. The early steel version is drilled and tapped for scope mounts and the later version has steel inserts press installed for the same purpose. The early models have an exposed bolt head, the later an enclosed bolt head. The later models also have a folding hammer system which could act as a backup safety system. The trigger system has sometimes been criticized as being to heavy, but I must admit that I have not encountered one that I can not adjust to.

The BLR has been made in many configurations including straight stock and pistol gripped models. There is one feature however that distinguishes it from most lever actions and that is it’s detachable magazine. Most lever guns have a tubular magazine. For many years we only had short action caliber choices, but since 1991, we have had long action caliber choices.

The Browning BLR is a very dependable, accurate and easy to operate lever action rifle. If there is a second draw back, it is the availability of early BLR magazines and the cost associated with any extra BLR magazine. I am very surprised that no outside company has picked up on producing the early model magazines (pre-81). If you have a pre-81 BLR, start gathering a few extra magazines. If you have a BLR 81 or later model, get at least one extra for the comfort. On the plus side, the detachable magazine feature does allow for pointed bullets and some impressive calibers.

History
    Production of the BLR as we know it, which had the magazine that extended below receiver, began in 1970. Now I know this will raise some questions and retribution from some who have researched Browning BLR’s, but I challenge you to show me a pre-70 Belgium BLR. I will change my article and give you credit if you can. Almost everything that you read/research states they started the production in 1969, but there are no BLR’s from that year that I can find and/or verify. I will also note that all of my research shows that “all official” references for determining “early 69-75” Browning BLR years of production using the serial numbers are also somewhat wrong. Go to the Serial Number portion of this article to see what I am writing about.
    The original BLR’s receiver were made of steel and they had an extended magazine. The first two calibers were .243 Winchester and .308 Winchester. They were straight stocked and as best as I can tell, all the Belgium produced models all had oiled finished stocks.

Next came the move to have all of the BLR’s produced by Miroku in Japan. This change was needed because of production costs. Again, my research has found that “official records” are probably wrong. Almost all references state that the “Japan” produced BLR’s began in 1971/72. I can absolutely show you “Belgium” marked BLR’s from 1973 and I have some very good backup sources that will support me in this statement.
    I should also note very early on in this article that the Japanese made BLR’s are every bit as good as any earlier produced FN Browning BLR. Miroku produced BLR’s have a polyurethane type finish to the stock and forearm.

The BLR 81 started in 1981 with some minor changes including a flush magazine. The long action calibers came on the scene in 1991 and this is when the fluted bolt and fluted receivers started. There was also a change to the lever mechanism during this change over. There was additionally a recall associated with the long action calibers of 1991, which was apparently the rifle could fire from a half cock position. It may also have something to do with dissimilar metals in the lever system which can expand/not expand in very cold weather causing parts to bind.

The Lightning BLR (aluminum receiver) came on the scene in 1996 and the Lightweight Model 81 came on the scene in 2003. The Lightning started out with a pistol gripped stock w/ a rounded knob and had a flat knob w/grip cap variation. The BLR 81 Lightweight started the trend back to a straight stock and lately we have options of either the straight stock or pistol gripped models including a takedown version which began in 2007. The last 2 models had the nose of the hammer that pivoted adding a safety feature. The latest versions also offer stainless steel variations and laminated stocks. There have been some Commemorative Models and some special factory issues that we will cover later.
    Micky Duck and Orchunter like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I have been told that the importer does not have any of any configuration in stock (sold out very quickly after that event) and that it will be quite awhile before they can source new ones.