Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Bullet puller

Bullet puller

Anyone got a collet type puller they want to part with? Otherwise I'll grab a hornady one from gunworks tomorrow

Cheers

Make one. I drilled a cheap pair of pliers with 6.5 mil bit (my calibre), put tape over raw edges and used the press in ‘reverse’ to pull the pill. Works mint as.
    northdude, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

if your careful you can do same with vice grips.... got one of the hammer type and it works but takes a fair bit of effort.
    caberslash likes this.

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Anyone got a collet type puller they want to part with? Otherwise I'll grab a hornady one from gunworks tomorrow

Cheers
    I have a Hornady Cam Lock puller with a 22 caliber collet which I would let go for $50 plus postage. It has had very little use and is in near-new condition.

i just use those cheap wire srtippers/crimpers and press
    22 hornets and most things 6.5

These rough-and-ready methods using pliers certainly get the bullets out, but inevitably distorts them. Whether these bullets would be fit for re-use, or would shoot accurately if reloaded, is very much open to question.
    Finnwolf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if your careful you can do same with vice grips.... got one of the hammer type and it works but takes a fair bit of effort.
    @Micky Duck instead of using the collets that come with the hammer try using a shell holder from your press, you'll find it works a lot better with a whole lot less effort.....learn't that trick from Eric Cortina
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    @Micky Duck instead of using the collets that come with the hammer try using a shell holder from your press, you'll find it works a lot better with a whole lot less effort.....learn't that trick from Eric Cortina
    Erik Cortina is not that smart. Picked up that idea off accurateshooter.com over 10 years ago.
    If I need to pull a lot of bullets the collet puller is a better method.

Was trying to pull some very old 250-3000 for a mate. The projectiles offered virtually no parallel grip and kept slipping out of the collet puller.
    Cracked them slightly with seating die which left even less parallel surface to grip.
    Took to them with the inertia puller with reversed shellholder. Took many really hard whacks ( thought I might shatter the puller).
    Then noticed the rims were bent on one side. Caused by a shellholder not fully encircling the rim.

Otherwise using a shellholder works perfectly. The 250-3000 stuff was pretty extreme and something not normally encountered.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Erik Cortina is not that smart. Picked up that idea off accurateshooter.com over 10 years ago.
    If I need to pull a lot of bullets the collet puller is a better method.

Was trying to pull some very old 250-3000 for a mate. The projectiles offered virtually no parallel grip and kept slipping out of the collet puller.
    Cracked them slightly with seating die which left even less parallel surface to grip.
    Took to them with the inertia puller with reversed shellholder. Took many really hard whacks ( thought I might shatter the puller).
    Then noticed the rims were bent on one side. Caused by a shellholder not fully encircling the rim.

Otherwise using a shellholder works perfectly. The 250-3000 stuff was pretty extreme and something not normally encountered.
    I never claimed he invented it just where I picked it up from, certainly works on newly loaded stuff. to be fair I rarely pull projectiles
    zimmer likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I never claimed he invented it just where I picked it up from, certainly works on newly loaded stuff. to be fair I rarely pull projectiles
    Yep, and inertia pullers are all about how you flick your wrist

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yep, and inertia pullers are all about how you flick your wrist
    I too have tride pulling some really old ammo and it takes more than a flick
    #DANNYCENT

Years ago I tried using shell holders instead of the collets supplied with my RCBS inertia puller, and I couldn’t see that they worked any better. Don’t really know why they would - means that the cases are only being supported by half the circumference of the rims instead of all of it.

I DID learn a long time ago that running the cartridges to be pulled through a bullet seater and pushing the bullets about 0.2mm further in - breaking any bond that was starting to form between bullet and case neck - made extraction much easier. Also, that while hitting the hammer on any reasonably hard surface works OK with bullets that pull out fairly easily, stubborn ones need hitting on a really hard, unyielding surface. The odd times I have to use my inertia puller I start by hitting it on the anvil on the engineers vise on my bench, but if that doesn’t work too well I get down and hit it on the concrete floor of my workshop. Works much better.

R93
    Shell holder is faster imo. Especially if you have a lot to do. Not better.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

The best trick to an inertia puller is being 90' to the impact. But pulling a few is crap compared to a collet. If I am unhappy with a load I will pull them and reuse the components as opposed to going "oh well" and pulling the trigger on a box of 50 or 100, just for "practice"
    I would much rather practice with rounds i am happy with.
    Micky Duck likes this.