Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Arsenal


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Bullet puller

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Hawkes bay
    Posts
    826

    Bullet puller

    Anyone got a collet type puller they want to part with? Otherwise I'll grab a hornady one from gunworks tomorrow

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hamurana, Rotorua
    Posts
    550
    Make one. I drilled a cheap pair of pliers with 6.5 mil bit (my calibre), put tape over raw edges and used the press in ‘reverse’ to pull the pill. Works mint as.
    northdude, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

  3. #3
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    7,712
    if your careful you can do same with vice grips.... got one of the hammer type and it works but takes a fair bit of effort.
    caberslash likes this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,408
    PM sent

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Porirua
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Anyone got a collet type puller they want to part with? Otherwise I'll grab a hornady one from gunworks tomorrow

    Cheers
    I have a Hornady Cam Lock puller with a 22 caliber collet which I would let go for $50 plus postage. It has had very little use and is in near-new condition.

  6. #6
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    9,064
    i just use those cheap wire srtippers/crimpers and press
    22 hornets and most things 6.5

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Porirua
    Posts
    79
    These rough-and-ready methods using pliers certainly get the bullets out, but inevitably distorts them. Whether these bullets would be fit for re-use, or would shoot accurately if reloaded, is very much open to question.
    Finnwolf likes this.

  8. #8
    Not even Banned ow dannyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, North Canterbury
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if your careful you can do same with vice grips.... got one of the hammer type and it works but takes a fair bit of effort.
    @Micky Duck instead of using the collets that come with the hammer try using a shell holder from your press, you'll find it works a lot better with a whole lot less effort.....learn't that trick from Eric Cortina
    #DANNYCENT

  9. #9
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    @Micky Duck instead of using the collets that come with the hammer try using a shell holder from your press, you'll find it works a lot better with a whole lot less effort.....learn't that trick from Eric Cortina
    Erik Cortina is not that smart. Picked up that idea off accurateshooter.com over 10 years ago.
    If I need to pull a lot of bullets the collet puller is a better method.

    Was trying to pull some very old 250-3000 for a mate. The projectiles offered virtually no parallel grip and kept slipping out of the collet puller.
    Cracked them slightly with seating die which left even less parallel surface to grip.
    Took to them with the inertia puller with reversed shellholder. Took many really hard whacks ( thought I might shatter the puller).
    Then noticed the rims were bent on one side. Caused by a shellholder not fully encircling the rim.

    Otherwise using a shellholder works perfectly. The 250-3000 stuff was pretty extreme and something not normally encountered.
    Micky Duck likes this.

  10. #10
    Not even Banned ow dannyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, North Canterbury
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Erik Cortina is not that smart. Picked up that idea off accurateshooter.com over 10 years ago.
    If I need to pull a lot of bullets the collet puller is a better method.

    Was trying to pull some very old 250-3000 for a mate. The projectiles offered virtually no parallel grip and kept slipping out of the collet puller.
    Cracked them slightly with seating die which left even less parallel surface to grip.
    Took to them with the inertia puller with reversed shellholder. Took many really hard whacks ( thought I might shatter the puller).
    Then noticed the rims were bent on one side. Caused by a shellholder not fully encircling the rim.

    Otherwise using a shellholder works perfectly. The 250-3000 stuff was pretty extreme and something not normally encountered.
    I never claimed he invented it just where I picked it up from, certainly works on newly loaded stuff. to be fair I rarely pull projectiles
    zimmer likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

  11. #11
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I never claimed he invented it just where I picked it up from, certainly works on newly loaded stuff. to be fair I rarely pull projectiles
    Yep, and inertia pullers are all about how you flick your wrist

  12. #12
    Not even Banned ow dannyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, North Canterbury
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yep, and inertia pullers are all about how you flick your wrist
    I too have tride pulling some really old ammo and it takes more than a flick
    #DANNYCENT

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Porirua
    Posts
    79
    Years ago I tried using shell holders instead of the collets supplied with my RCBS inertia puller, and I couldn’t see that they worked any better. Don’t really know why they would - means that the cases are only being supported by half the circumference of the rims instead of all of it.

    I DID learn a long time ago that running the cartridges to be pulled through a bullet seater and pushing the bullets about 0.2mm further in - breaking any bond that was starting to form between bullet and case neck - made extraction much easier. Also, that while hitting the hammer on any reasonably hard surface works OK with bullets that pull out fairly easily, stubborn ones need hitting on a really hard, unyielding surface. The odd times I have to use my inertia puller I start by hitting it on the anvil on the engineers vise on my bench, but if that doesn’t work too well I get down and hit it on the concrete floor of my workshop. Works much better.

  14. #14
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    15,915
    Shell holder is faster imo. Especially if you have a lot to do. Not better.

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,408
    The best trick to an inertia puller is being 90' to the impact. But pulling a few is crap compared to a collet. If I am unhappy with a load I will pull them and reuse the components as opposed to going "oh well" and pulling the trigger on a box of 50 or 100, just for "practice"
    I would much rather practice with rounds i am happy with.
    Micky Duck likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Bullet puller
    By feratox in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-05-2019, 06:46 PM
  2. WTB: Bullet puller
    By sambnz in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 09:40 AM
  3. WTB: Bullet Puller
    By Heisenburg in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-03-2016, 01:12 PM
  4. WTB: Bullet Puller
    By Nibblet in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14-06-2014, 05:00 PM
  5. wsm bullet puller
    By cambo in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!