Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gordo

Thread: Bushranger 7.62x39

Bushranger 7.62x39

What's out there? Just wanting it as a cheap bush hunting option.
    Will consider any set up - suppressed/scoped etc. Cheers

Bump

I bought a Ruger American Ranch rifle in this caliber with my confiscation money. Really like it, shoots well out to 200m at least, furthest I've shot, and eats whatever ammo I put through it. Only had one problem with one Chinese copper cartridge sticking in the chamber after firing. Came out easily with a cleaning rod though and was the only one out of 50 I shot that day. Kids have used it and it's easy for them and doesn't kick too hard. Got the 14 inch barrel so makes a great little bush gun. I've put a suppressor and scope on it and is a bit of fun with a 10 round mag in it.
    People that know about these things tell me the round will bring down pretty much anything we hunt out to about 300m. Haven't been able to confirm that to date though. I keep hoping ha ha. In the bush out to 200m it's deadly accurate and by all accounts packs a pretty mean punch at that range. Still lots of cheap ammo around in that caliber as well.

I think for the $1100 I paid for it it's great value for money. Hickok45 does a good review of it on YouTube, just search his channel and it will come up. I looked at the Bush Ranger and while there was nothing particularly wrong with it the Ruger just felt right. That is probably just a personal choice thing though. With bipod, scope, suppressor and 10 round mag it looks pretty mean as well. Oops better not say that Cindy will ban it.
    Andy7mm and Waldo Peens like this.
    Gun control is using both hands