Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Call for Gear Needed

Aly

Call for Gear Needed

Short story: I don't have much of an income, and as we all know gear can be costly. My biggest investments this year have been prioritized to new 4-season boots, 2 new packs and a rain jacket.

I've been out on hunting trips and now looking at doing more alpine trips (for Tahr, Chamois) soon but my gear is very limited and the $200 or so deposits for hiring stuff is still a bit out of my range to have enough set aside each weekend. I'm also taking part in avalanche safety courses, bushcraft first aid courses, am currently co-leading an all-female snowcraft and alpine tramping group, starting to work my way into mountaineering skills to get better fitness and knowledge of the mountains... Not to mention I'm currently nominated for a committee role in a tramping club next year and also I am aiming to become a LandSAR volunteer next year during my studies.

So I'm putting a call out to you folks if you happen to have any gear you would like to part with or any spare laying around you wouldn't mind selling with Mates Rates (we're all mates here, ae?? ) comment below or let me know. Or even if you happen to know any great deals lying around that I'm not aware of! (Though note: payment may have to be spread out over time, a few weeks....). List below is gear I either don't have, or need replacing.

Gear call for:
    -Sleeping bag and/or sleeping bag liner (mine has truly seen better days now, so many holes).
    -Crampons (10 pt is fine)
    -Ice axe (medium height?)
    -Dry bags/extra pack liner (mine also quite holey)
    -Bedmat (I have a roll but it's the $12 kind)
    -Snow stake
    -Spare rope (Not necessarily for much use though, mostly just practice!)
    -Walking pole
    -PLB/Epirb (I know this one is a stretch though!!)
    -Any extra unused first aid items
    -Maps (of any area is fine, though I'm mostly Canterbury, Arthur's Pass, Malborough, Tasman and Kahurangi situated)
    -Tent? (One or two person) OR Fly?
    -Dehydrated foods
    -Pocket knife or a knife that is good for skinning/cutting
    -Gloves!!! Both inner and outer, thermal and waterproof. I have lost mine and unfortunately could only afford to replace them with $10 kid's ski gloves! (I mean they're great but a size too small so my fingers cramp). I would be a small Men's or a medium Womens. Wool/possum/polyester mixes are great. Please help my cold fingers.
    -Binos. I have a decent range finder but wouldn't mind cheap binoculars.
    -Headlamp. Mine are pretty weak/cheap.

(Quality of gear doesn't have to be fantastic, well used but good condition is fine by me!!)

Anything else you can think of comment below. As well as any offers on prices - comment or PM.

Also: Not necessary but I truly do love hunting/fishing/tramping books and magazines, no matter how old. I go down to the Sallies and buy them for $1 each. Found some fantastic ones. If you've got something and wanna part it for some coins let me know too. Ones on studying weather patterns would be great too please

Over time any gear I've received that I happen to replace I will put on the Pay It Forward thread (providing they are still usable quality and I've not thrashed it haha) to pass it on free of charge, and give back to the forum!
    Christchurch - I can organise pick up in some areas. Or in Nelson I can organise someone to pick it up for me.

Aly
    @K95

I have a fairydown everest in great condition you can have ,pm me your addy and I'll send it down.

I can solve the map problem for free topomap.co.nz download/print any map part of map you want for free

I have a massive Rod & Rifle collection...pick up only!
    Aly likes this.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    I have a fairydown everest in great condition you can have ,pm me your addy and I'll send it down.
    That would be fantastic, thanks!

I don't have anything to offer sorry but I'm a huge advocate for the $10 Bacho knife from Bunnings. So much so that I've got 4 of them. Its got to be good to warrant the amount its been talked about on the forums.

I could probably find some dehy packs that are close to the best before or maybe just past.... not that that matters.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

K95
    I've had to come to Chch for surgery tomorrow but I will have a look when I'm back on the coast. Usually plenty of gear laying about.
    What size boots fit you?

I can sort headlamp/batteries/charger.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    I don't have anything to offer sorry but I'm a huge advocate for the $10 Bacho knife from Bunnings. So much so that I've got 4 of them. Its got to be good to warrant the amount its been talked about on the forums.
    Aly,
    I have a spare one of these you can have
    Aly likes this.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    Thanks for the heads up

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I could probably find some dehy packs that are close to the best before or maybe just past.... not that that matters.
    I've taken plenty of food past it's best before date into the bush before, has never hurt me before. Only difference is usually it's a bit more chewy haha

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    I have a massive Rod & Rifle collection...pick up only!
    If I'm going to be in the area I'll keep that in mind actually! Will give you a heads up if I'm adventuring your way

No problem - all before 1995