Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ground Control
  • 1 Post By 25/08IMP

Thread: Camping fly budget light weight tent

Camping fly budget light weight tent

Hi all me and my big bro are looking to try fly camping or even just a light weight tent has any one got something for sale or could you make a tarp work?
    Blade

at a pinch you can get away with a cheap blue tarp from the warehouse...a decent amount of string and a couple of poles of some sort...branches,walking sticks,old alloy tent poles.... you dont need to get too flash if not going extrme...in or below the bush edge it is even easier,simple matter to string a tarp up between a couple of trees.

Cheapest option is a blue tarp, aim for at least 3M x 3M for two guys.
    I use a 3x3 tarp from Aliexpress, I can make a small tent with a floor using one pole/tree/walking pole. Wouldn't fit two adults, but as a fly provides plenty of cover.

Can get a large Roman fly (4x3m) from HnF for 69 which ain't bad. I have a one man tent from roman and it was OK for the money

Have a look on google/ YouTube re setting up a tarp and a few knots to use
    Some handy ideas to take on board,
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Or if you want a tent then try outdoor intents. They do some really light and affordable 1 and 2 man tents. I use a Coleman 2 man tent for me and my son and when camping alone. It fits in my overnight pack with ease and weights 1.7kg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Lately Ive been using a Macpac Microlight Tent that I found secondhand.
    It is a one man tent that is super tough and will stand up to the worst weather .
    I has a feature that I would suggest looking for in what ever tent you get .
    Get a tent that you can erect without the inner portion of the tent ( the floor and bug proof and mesh inner ) which leaves just the outer fly .
    The outer fly of my Microlight tent when erected is ten times better than any tarp or open ended fly in regards to being sealed up in bad weather or wind and it more than halves the weight when you leave the inner at home . Using it without the inner also increases the usable room of the tent by quite a lot .
    If you think the weather will be really bad or your going into bug contry then just take the whole tent which is light weight anyawy .
    It gives you options to choose .
    chainsaw likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

GWH
    The shelter I use most often is my old faithful Huntech 2 man bivvy (original NZ made one). Its lighter to carry than a tent of the same size generally but gives lots more protection from the elements than a standard fly sheet.

https://huntechoutdoors.com/product/2man-bivvy/

Stoney Creek do a similar bivvy https://www.stoneycreek.co.nz/lightw...g/shelter.html

I have the seperate floor but never use it, i simple use a sheet of tyvek type builders wrap, its way lighter

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    The shelter I use most often is my old faithful Huntech 2 man bivvy (original NZ made one). Its lighter to carry than a tent of the same size generally but gives lots more protection from the elements than a standard fly sheet.

https://huntechoutdoors.com/product/2man-bivvy/

Stoney Creek do a similar bivvy https://www.stoneycreek.co.nz/lightw...g/shelter.html

I have the seperate floor but never use it, i simple use a sheet of tyvek type builders wrap, its way lighter
    That's what I will be using this weekend they are bloody great.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.