Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Camping Quilt

Camping Quilt

Hi everyone. I'm after a lightweight quilt as an alternative arrangement to a sleeping bag such as the revelation made by enlightened equipment or somthing similar. Cheers

Caretaker
    I bought a 300gsm polarfleece single sheet from briscoes

$18 i think it was

Perfect in summer or inside your bivvy bag

Hardly use the sleeping bag now unless its winter
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

How light are the quilts? My winter sleeping bag is just under 1kg and I also have a ~500g summer sleeping bag which packs down really small zips out into a blanket.

Under 1kg for a winter bag is light
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

That's a pretty light winter bag alright mate. What kind of bag is it? The revelation quilt is about 600grams for the regular 20F model.

@GravelBen
    My 900fp down -7 rated quilt is 580 grams and my -10 800fp quilt weighs about 720.
    In other words, damn light
    hillclima and GravelBen like this.

Awesome Nick-D! Where did you buy the quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
    That's a pretty light winter bag alright mate. What kind of bag is it? The revelation quilt is about 600grams for the regular 20F model.
    Macpac Express 600 (600g fill weight of 800+ down), they've replaced that model with the Epic 600 now which they say is a bit heavier at 1140g instead of 980g. Temp rating -2 comfort/-10 limit/-30 extreme if you're familiar with that rating system. For high winter camps/bivies in the mountains I might add a thermal liner or wear a warm layer to bed but its plenty warm enough for most winter use.

My previous bag was a 10+ year old Fairydown Scorpion which was probably slightly warmer when new, but 1.6kg and much bulkier.

Those quilts do sound nice and light for their warmth, I guess the lack of zips helps keep the weight down. How are they for keeping the drafts out etc?

My light summer bag is one of these: Escapade 150 Travel Sleeping Bag | Macpac NZ but I haven't used it much yet to find its practical limit.
    freelancer likes this.

Thanks for the info GB.The Macpac Epic 600 looks good.
    Hopefully someone else can tell us what it's like dealing with drafts etc in a quilt as I haven't had the oopportunity to try one out yet.
    Problem is I feel too confined in bags and usually just open them up and use them like a quilt anyway so recently I have been asking myself why I need to cart a whole bag around the hills when I'm actually only using half of it. I sleep on a exped mat so that takes care of the insulation under me.

Yeah thats fair enough, I often have my sleeping bag unzipped too as I tend to get too hot otherwise. Be interested to hear how it goes if you update this thread after getting one.

A good warm mat does make a huge difference - coldest night of my life was camped on the edge of a frozen lake with a foam bedroll and a climbing rope under my sleeping bag. Top of me was fine but I was losing a stupid amount of heat into the ground. One of the moments that convinced me to buy an exped.
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
    Awesome Nick-D! Where did you buy the quilts?
    Hi freelancer. I have a hammock gear burrow 20 which I bought direct from them in the states, and a slightly older jacksrbetter Old rag mountain which I purchased for a steal of trademe which I believe is a shade lighter and a bit less warm than the current model.

I haven't have any issue with drafts. Have had the Burrow to -3c and been cosy.

Hi Freelancer, wort taking a look at Thermarest quilts/blankets, the Corus model in particular will appeal to you I reckon. Cheers Cliff

Thank you for the replies guys.
    Can't seem to find anyone that stocks these things in NZ so I guess I'll have to keep an eye on TM and try and get lucky or order a new one in from the states.
    Cheers

Anyone found a source for camping quilts. Having a browse around hough Kuiu did one but can't see it. Going to be used on a good expedition mat and inside a bivy bag if it really bad. Trade me has a dd hammock quilt but wondering if there are a few other options out there

Caretaker
    Briscoes has 300gsm polarfleece single sheets for $18

They have worked well for me on roar hunting trips when I sleep in unclean clothes, as they are easy to throw in the washing machine when I get home

The polarfleece is Super warm when inside a bivvy bag, and both are so easy to machine wash
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 23-01-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    hotsoup likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time