Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Canadian No7 22lr parts

Morning All,

Picked up what I thought was a No4 sporter this morning and as its chambered in the old 303 I had every right to believe as such but it was a little bit more interesting than that, It is a canadian No7 trainer made by longbranch that has had a long life including a 303 conversion and sporterisation.

Anyway, i'm now after the bits to restore it as best as I can (it has a matching bolt handle so thats lucky)

Parts I need are:

-22LR bolt head(complete)

-22LR No7 Barrel (no bayo lugs)

-No7 Rear aperture sight.

-Complete set of longbranch woodwork (haha, I must be dreaming right?)

-No4 Mag body with "22" stamped on the side

I know i'm just as likely to find rocking horse poo but hey, it'd be great to restore this neat and quite rare little rifle.

Regards,

Gun Nut (Rob)

Barrel would probably be an import job ex Canada, or a liner fitted to a .303 barrel would be another option. The mag body is not so much the issue, the loading platform is a bigger problem. Any mag body can have the .22 marked onto it to be fair.

Longbranch wood - it is around but most is used now. Probably an import job as well... I think I have a spare bolt head though? PM me, but be aware I have a heap on the go at the mo so my timely responses can be months. That reminds me, @tonyd yeah I'll message ya later now that I'm finished this set of night shifts haha.

I have a 22 rear sight, PM email for pics

Thankyou guys, have sent you both a PM, boy i'm on a roll here, anyone got a crusty mag floating around with 22 stamped on the side? Or a barrel?

Bump, c'mon guys, clean out that dusty parts box!

These receivers are readily available and cheap in Canada as all the correct parts ran dry a long time ago, its a cool project but be prepared to take a long time unless your happy to get replica parts made- there are some beautiful replicas built on these but the build cost is comparable with buying a correct No9 in NZ

https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com...iver-1944.html
    the fool known as res got locked out of his account so made this one

Thanks for the heads up, I reckon I will have to get a barrel turned to the correct profile but apart from that the parts seem possible. I would probably abandon this project were it not for the matching bolt.

Get a plug made up for the breach, then get a .22LR blank turned down to make a liner. I had one ex-MAB a few years ago, was going to do it as I had a No9 receiver and stock set with a .303 barrel. Ended up getting a real one so sold it all off, but thats how PH and Enfield did them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Get a plug made up for the breach, then get a .22LR blank turned down to make a liner. I had one ex-MAB a few years ago, was going to do it as I had a No9 receiver and stock set with a .303 barrel. Ended up getting a real one so sold it all off, but thats how PH and Enfield did them.
    Thats a pretty good option, was reading that the long branch ones had no bayo lugs on them and it'd be a shame to do that to an original No4 303 barrel BUT I do have a BSA martini very heavy profile barrel that would make an excellent candidate to turn down to correct profile so I'm going to see if I can talk my gunsmith into doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun nut View Post
    Thats a pretty good option, was reading that the long branch ones had no bayo lugs on them and it'd be a shame to do that to an original No4 303 barrel BUT I do have a BSA martini very heavy profile barrel that would make an excellent candidate to turn down to correct profile so I'm going to see if I can talk my gunsmith into doing that.
    Find a shot out one. It will need to be chewed out to roughly 8mm or so anyway.