Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Cap and ball revolver circa 1800s

More of a long-term purchase goal but thought I would ask now just to see if there are any floating around!

After something like a Colt Army Model 1860 or even a Colt 1851 Navy Revolver or similar. Probably to go on my B cat (assuming it can). Otherwise C.

If an original is impossible, which I suspect it might be, then I'll just have to go repro.

Cheers

You can have an original. I've seen a couple in New Zealand. Ballpark of $24-60,000 dependent on condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    You can have an original. I've seen a couple in New Zealand. Ballpark of $24-60,000 dependent on condition.

I'll keep an eye on the auctions, but if something comes up I'll consider it. Must be extremely rare here. Otherwise, repro is fine.

if you want it to shoot go for a repo
    I shoot a lot of black powder (rifles) and there are a few guys that are shooting old original guns but for the most part its repos
    there's always that risk of something going wrong with the older guns steel degrades over time and last thing ya wanna do is blow up a $20,000+ piece of history

Quote Originally Posted by mcdeee View Post
    I'll keep an eye on the auctions, but if something comes up I'll consider it. Must be extremely rare here. Otherwise, repro is fine.
    Best places are Ted Roger's and Carvell's auctions. Next Carvell's is April I think. Look on his and Ted's websites. I think Ted may have his previous auctions plus prices realized so that you know what you can expect to spend.
    No complex license issues with originals, but repros I think are B/C. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Best places are Ted Roger's and Carvell's auctions. Next Carvell's is April I think. Look on his and Ted's websites. I think Ted may have his previous auctions plus prices realized so that you know what you can expect to spend.
    No complex license issues with originals, but repros I think are B/C. Crazy.
    Just had a look at Carvell's, some really nice stuff. Wouldn't mind an unmolested Springfield '03 too!

Quote Originally Posted by mcdeee View Post
    More of a long-term purchase goal but thought I would ask now just to see if there are any floating around!

After something like a Colt Army Model 1860 or even a Colt 1851 Navy Revolver or similar. Probably to go on my B cat (assuming it can). Otherwise C.

If an original is impossible, which I suspect it might be, then I'll just have to go repro.

Cheers
    I know of a civil war era Colt in really great condition. Not on the market yet but maybe soon. PM me and I'll provide details.
    The Glock pistol: Sort of like playing Mozart on the harmonica