Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sturg4

Carl Gustafs 1915....6.5 x55

For a project. It owes me around 300 dollars. I judge it to have a good barrel, Traces of heavy grease around the chamber makes me think it has been in storage these many years. Normal military scars though. Numbers all match except wood work and bayonette.

The above project stopped when I inherited the late Bill Axbeys 6.5 built on the same action. Old Bill was one of New Zealand greatest Conservators and the first recruit of our Wildlife Service. Bills friends had the rifle he left me built for him on his 80th birthday.

I think photos are needed in this thread.

Shot my first deer with a Husqvarna/CG 6.5 x 55.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    I think photos are needed in this thread.

Shot my first deer with a Husqvarna/CG 6.5 x 55.
    Raging Bull if you google Carl Gustafs Stads, Gevarsfaktori 1915.

You will find a much better picture of the M/1896 rifle than I can provide. It supplies the history for the weapon as well.

The serial number is 361327 on chamber, 327 on bolt. Number on mag cover 231.

It is only the bore and rifleling to be quantified then.

I would be happy to pay return costs if anyone was unhappy with the condition of the barrel.

I would as well keep it as sell it to anyone that was unhappy with it

I love the 6.5x55 as does my Son, a great calibre. As for Bill Axbey couldn't agree more, he kept the other Conservators in line RIP mr Axbey. Loved to read his articles.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    I love the 6.5x55 as does my Son, a great calibre. As for Bill Axbey couldn't agree more, he kept the other Conservators in line RIP mr Axbey. Loved to read his articles.
    Bill was a great man alright...When he died he made me take over his Anti 1080 work. Bill Loathed the stuff because it killed so many of his kea.

Back When Bill was the conservator of the whole Southern Lakes District he was talked into using 1080 it was relatively new then.
    They used a single furrow plow a behind a little bully and plowed a furrow to hell and back as Bill would say and layed the bait in it.
    Well Bill said when the went back to check it he couldnt believe the numbers of dead birds. There were dead birds as far as the eye could see of every type and destcription. Particularly the poor old kea. Bill loved the kea and never allowed 1080 to be used on his blocks again and he fought to have it banned until the day he died. He reckoned it will be the end of the Kea and he's not far wrong a drop during the winter last year killed 78% of the kea in the Northern Okarito block....This result confirmed by the radio tracking collar method.

Some scientists believe there may be no more than 900 kea left alive in the wild now.

Bill supported...... www1080science.co.nz..... and wrote three books books that are good reads...Down the track...The Bird Hunters..... and Payback.

sturg4
    Name:  Thames goldshield team 29.1.007 001.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  40.6 KB

The lads at a claybird shoot at Whitianga.

Bill was the first recruit of the "Wildlife Service" in 1948.
    Last edited by Scribe; 05-07-2012 at 09:47 AM.

sturg4
    Gapped Axe you may be interested in Bill Axbeys papers. I inherited about 3 boxes of them. The boxes contain old slides, old maps, stories, and manuscripts. The slides are Fiordland in the raw, among the maps I note. One that shows the location of every trophy wapiti shot in the area over the years. Also I have been left two and a half books that Bill wants me to finish and then publish.

What a mission that will be. One manuscipt that is all but finished is about a famous elephant hunter. 'Deaf Banks" was his name. One of the great 5 elephant hunters perhaps in the world...And he was a little old New Zealand boy that the World knows little about except for Bill Axbeys manuscript. Elephant Hunters in this PC world hell??? I can just imagine myself asking my own publisher to publish this book complete with gory photographs. She would have a bloody fit.

We think we are tough there is one old codger in the book that used a rifle/musket that slung a four ounce ball. He records that when he fired it it spun him around twice and made his nose bleed. But "it" was good on elephants he reports.

These papers are a responsibility???? I feel I am unable to do them the credit they deserve. There are many things of interest among them that I think should be out there for the public. DOC should be the natural recipient of such papers under normal circumstances as Bill was the first recruit of the Wildlife Service ....Though I fear many of these papers that Bill collected over the years pertain to various 1080 operations that he had all the inside information on. DOC and I dare say "some" other Government Departments may find it nesscessary to destroy such history. I know that Bill himself would never have allowed his papers to fall into such hands 'which is no doubt the reason they were left in my care'. I have examined only a small portion of these papers.

What should I do????????

Did you buy this off trademe not long ago?

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Yah Wanna have a look at my papers?????.
    Last edited by Scribe; 05-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Sorry scoped I never answered your question properly I was thinking of something else when I wrote what I did.

I purchased the 6.5 from the local undertaker about 4 years back...I guess he had it there in case anyone put up a fight and didnt want to go. " Now sir, you know the rules there only way anyone leaves this building is feet first out the back way, now get in the box"

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Sorry scoped I never answered your question properly I was thinking of something else when I wrote what I did.

I purchased the 6.5 from the local undertaker about 4 years back...I guess he had it there in case anyone put up a fight and didnt want to go. " Now sir, you know the rules there only way anyone leaves this building is feet first out the back way, now get in the box"
    An undertaker with a gun, now there is a sustainable business model if ever I've heard of one!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    An undertaker with a gun, now there is a sustainable business model if ever I've heard of one!
    A mafia scene 'rushy' "I know it must have been a bit chilly in the fridge sir, but dont be difficult now dont you read the local paper your funeral arrangements were in it on thursday"
    Last edited by Scribe; 06-07-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Sorry I haven' gotten back to you Scribe, I'm still trying to get the hang of how this website works. I would say under no circumstances should these writings and papers be put in the hand of such complete clowns as DOC. NZDA might have a achivest who may be able to do something with them, or Brendon Coe or his successor. There must be some way Mr Axbeys legacy and writngs could be preserved.

Just a thought ,I'm planning on getting up to the Beach soon(Cooks) to mow lawns and fish. Maybe we could touch base.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Just a thought ,I'm planning on getting up to the Beach soon(Cooks) to mow lawns and fish. Maybe we could touch base.
    It would be great to talk to you about it "Gapped Axe" We are not far from Thames. There is always a welcome here and a bed if you wish. I am going to be away hunting peacock and pheasant until next friday.