Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By viper
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 2 Post By viper
  • 2 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By rossi.45

Thread: cheap high power scope

cheap high power scope

Just seeing whats lying around out there.
    I need a cheap high mag scope for my 17 HMR
    Doesn't need to be anything high end. ( limited budget )
    16 x power min and prefer more.

Bushnell , Nikko Stirling etc .... anything considered
    A few marks doesn't bother me as long as it's clear and sharp optically.
    Left handed shooter so an end AO doesn't work for me, need side focus etc.

Cheers Viper.

I have a 6-24 Nikko Nighteater.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Geez do you want to shoot a hare in the pupil or iris with 24x on a 17HMR!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    It does have the other end of the dial too. But yes, I do like as accurate as I can get.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Perfect...hopefully... PM inbound my man
    rossi.45 likes this.

I'm in the market for something similar gadget. If Viper doesn't want it send me some details.
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

They are actually a pretty good scope for the money.
    northdude likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    "Left handed shooter so an end AO doesn't work for me, need side focus etc."

Out of curiosity, why is that? I would have thought side focus would be on the wrong side if you are left handed.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I want to shoot the hair off the left nut on the fly sitting on the rabbits head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    "Left handed shooter so an end AO doesn't work for me, need side focus etc."

Out of curiosity, why is that? I would have thought side focus would be on the wrong side if you are left handed.
    I'm not 100% sure why. Part of it could be ergonomics some maybe technique . I find that it's a fair reach to the front of a large varmint scope and I tend to lift my head as half the time I start to unscrew the sun shade or miss the AO and have to check my hand placement.
    Of course once I look back down the scope I have slightly moved and the rabbit isn't in the picture so it's back to finding the rabbit and start again.
    With the rifle in my left shoulder all I have to do is lift my trigger hand straight up to the side focus dial which is always on the left hand side of the scope and make the adjustments. I don't need to take my eye out of the scope and my entire right arm is only used to support the weapon.
    Like I said it's a combination of technique ( good or bad ) and ergonomics. I guess as shooters we all have or develop our own little ways of shooting . This works for me and suits my body shape and allows me to focus on the shot and not be distracted by my fumbling with the scope.
    I don't bench rest shoot at all, I am a 100% varmint head so all my shooting is in the field which in Central Otago means thorns, prickles, sheep shit, bair bush's, whore hound and a 100 other things that make for an often uncomfortable shot so if I am using gear I am comfortable with and a technique that works for me then it goes along way to a successful shot when the trigger is squeezed off.
    rossi.45 and Blisters like this.

I've had two cheap scopes in my life... funny thing is they were different makes and both the reticules started to rotate. Never again!

One was a high power Nikko Stirling, I thought it wasn't a bad scope until it started to play up. I purchased a Leupold Mark 4 after that and so started my love of quality glass...

Buy once and hide it from your wife is my motto. ;-)
    rossi.45 and Tim Dicko like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I've had two cheap scopes in my life... funny thing is they were different makes and both the reticules started to rotate. Never again!

One was a high power Nikko Stirling, I thought it wasn't a bad scope until it started to play up. I purchased a Leupold Mark 4 after that and so started my love of quality glass...

Buy once and hide it from your wife is my motto. ;-)
    yeah I hear ya but it's only on a 17HMR so recoil is no issue , bolt action as well so no jarring from semi cycling its action .

nikko stirlings are ok for the money its mainly what I run my oldest one would be coming up 30 years its been on a 6.5 for 25 of them now it lives on a 22 should of had problems with it by now but its still going strong you just wont win any bragging comps with one that's all

Have a 3 -10 Nikko Stirling Nighteater on a 22mag. No complaints at all. Good scope for the money I reckon.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

reaching forward to adjust your AO is a big pain for right handers as well @viper when your lying down behind the gun . . . but i do find its a little finer adjustment of focus so i live with it

ive tried the Jap Nikkos and Tasco Target/Varmint scopes, they're both very similar that i wouldnt be surprised if they came out of the same building . .. never had any problems, which is remarkable considering the price, stay under 20X if you want any kind of clarity.
    my 1st true varmint scope was a Jap Tasco 8-32X40 with a dot reticle that i put on the HMR . . still have it tucked away in its box, gets taken out every year or so just to remember.

R.
    viper likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !