Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cheap little hatch back commutator

Cheap little hatch back commutator

Wife's got a few more years left of uni and the daily commute to Hamilton and back in our large SUV racks up a decent fuel bill.
    So we're in the market for a cheap ($3,500 - $4,000) little hatch back. Or even recommendations on what make and models people might of had some luck with.

I used to have a 87 Toyota GL corolla back growing up which was a trooper. But it seems like everything is late 90's early 00's in our range now, with a lot of common fault vehicles as emissions and cvt trans were all in early stages.

Any advice or offers are welcome.

Or if anyone has a old ute they're wanting to get rid of. The wife can drive that to uni and i can use it in the weekends as my hunting vehicle. I prefer this idea....

@Projects
    Try some of the local online sales sites.
    Have seen a few on the local Wairarapa site that would suit your purpose.
    There was a very nice Lexus 3L luxury car for the money you want to spend.
    There are other alternatives to hatchbacks, but most of the Utes are crap or only good for scrap.

many moons ago had a 96 pulsar hatch as a run around work car would still have it now if it were not T boned by a drunk.

Cheers @WallyR yeah we've been looking at a few of the online marketplace sites, facebook, trademe, etc.. Even have a couple friends who's family have been in the car sale industry for awhile to keep an eye out for those trade-ins that aren't worth the yard time. Hard now as they just end up at auction houses. Gone of the days they used to on sell them dirt cheap for beer money.

I was doing the same thing a few years back as I had family in Blenheim that were fighting a losing battle with cancer. I looked for something cheap, and cheerful, perhaps fun to drive for a 350km fortnightly commute. Looked at mazda 323, Pulsars, Ford lasers, corollas, festivas and ended up with a Mazda MX5 (an original '89 in straight good nick with paint work that had the living Sh_t polished out of it.

I meant to sell it after te fight finished, but 3 years on it is so much fun to drive that I still use it for the work commute (25ks now) alternating between that and the Motorbike and a push bike.

I keep thinking of selling it and I keep finding reasons not to. It is so much fun to drive, drop the lid down and the missus and I go for a blatt just cos we can....

If you dont need a lot of boot space, I dare you to check out MX5s and MR2s. So much fun.....

I was passed a while back by a guy in a Morgan 3 wheeler coming off the motorway.....the passengers smile was massive. He would have been late teens early 20s and had a smile that wont wipe off until he is 40.
    WallyR and Cordite like this.

Toyota Starlet

Quote Originally Posted by Projects View Post

Or if anyone has a old ute they're wanting to get rid of. The wife can drive that to uni and i can use it in the weekends as my hunting vehicle. I prefer this idea....
    l was gonna suggest a 98-03 vitara in your range 4wd cheap to run and reliable just try to find one that hasnt been on the beach
    40mm likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    If it was me looking I would go for a Toyota Carolla, thousands of them around and a pretty economical bulletproof little cars. Something like this one. Ok to leave it a road end when hunting too.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...1960427787.htm
    tetawa and bigbear like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

had to beat a corrolla, run on a smelly rag. cheap tyres when they need replacing.
    when i started country work i brought my wife a nissan primera to run around in town and that was also a very good car for us in till we sold it

mitsi lancer had one that used 6.5 litres per 100kms auto/tiptronic box was a great wee car till the youngest boy had an accident . go round the car yards and let them know you are after a cheapy as some might pass on your info to someone wanting to trade a car that they don't want as most are not interested in sub $2k cars.

I can do you a very tidy 80,000 km 2004 Honda Fit at a very reasonable price. Very economical with plenty of room in the back cargo area.
    von tempsky fan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I can do you a very tidy 80,000 km 2004 Honda Fit at a very reasonable price. Very economical with plenty of room in the back cargo area.
    We have one, good reliable run about.

The Fit is so easy on fuel, and has so much room.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

avoid anything with a CVT !
    2post likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    avoid anything with a CVT !
    My 2010 wagon has a cvt. I don't really like it. It's a bit stupid.