Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By quentin
  • 1 Post By Mintie
  • 4 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Cheap NV handheld spotter

Cheap NV handheld spotter

Struggling a little using my Pard mounted on the rifle on its own so I want to get a hand held spotter to make things easier, will be going thermal soon but it will be good to have a spare NV spotter for a second person anyway.

Anything floating around in the back of cupboards?

Just got a Guide thermal spotter to be used alongside my NV008. The thermal as a spotter is lifechanging in a good way. Paddocks taking 10 minutes to scan with the Pard with 90% rabbit detection, take 30 seconds now with the thermal, with 99% detection. Allows me to cover much larger distances in a much shorter amount of time, and target rabbits that were previously not facing me (no eye reflection), or sitting in longer grass.

Personally, I would just bite the bullet and go straight to the thermal spotter.
    MB and berg243 like this.

Pard have a spotter coming out soon

And 55six are bringing in nv soon, not sure if thermal is in the mix

Just picked up a Leica Calonox View today
    Looks impressive even in daytime drizzle which is usually a tad depressing for thermal

I agree above - Thermal Hand and if want to save $$ NV scope
    Detection is 90% of the success to a + end

I will go Thermal spotter in the next month or more as well, but I'm happy to buy a NV spotter for now and keep it as a secondary unit for another shooter down the line (its a bit pointless bringing the boy or a mate out shooting when I'm trying to operate in darkness and they cant see anything!). I'm waiting to see what 55six and Pard put out over the next month or 2.
    Joe_90 likes this.

From experience the pard 007 clip on works well as a handheld, it's small, has a good inbuilt ir torch takes quite good pictures and video and has magnification.on more than 3/4 moon in open paddocks there is no need for the torch but the response time is a bit slow and the image grainy.
    I run one across a few rifles for night shooting and agree that a thermal scanner is the go even if you have a thermal scope you just find stuff faster and with less effort.
    It might seem a bit excessive wandering around in the dark with 7 to 12,000 dollars worth of kit looking for rabbits, but it's a hobby and still a cheaper one than a pony for the daughter.
    Trout, Mintie, MB and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    I will go Thermal spotter in the next month or more as well, but I'm happy to buy a NV spotter for now and keep it as a secondary unit for another shooter down the line (its a bit pointless bringing the boy or a mate out shooting when I'm trying to operate in darkness and they cant see anything!). I'm waiting to see what 55six and Pard put out over the next month or 2.
    Keep an eye on owl optics. Fraser's pricing is pretty sharp with the pard units.
    If you can't beat them, beat them.
    They will be expecting you to join them, so you'll have the element of surprise.

If you can wait from aliexpress

https://youtu.be/4NHk86LnbI8

Im looking for the same sorta thing

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

mate has a couple of the guide handheld thermal units $2.5k each .they work good for spotting then they turn on the rifle thermal scope once game is spotted.

Hi I have a FLIR First Mate 2 which I bought on trademe for $1500, then found a sharp
    priced FLIR Breach. It’s mint hardly used. Way better specs than TK Scout, detection 350m vs 100m. So I’m going to list the FLIR First Mate 2 soon. Let me know if you want it.

Rob

Still looking for a used, cheap NV spotter.