Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Couple of interesting No1 Enfield-related items...

I have been looking after some estate items for family friends, while they decided if they would be disposing or if another family member was interested enough to get their own license. At this stage, the kids are more interested in travel and education and they've decided it's not a lot of point retaining them for a possibility...

I'll be pinging up some bits, bobs and treasures as I work through, along with some of my own crap.

Starting off (out of the my own crap pile), I have a Wilkinson Patt1907 hooked Quillion bayo + sheath + frog, 11/1910 date. Gotta be good for $700 in the condition it's in, I would rate as very good for the blade with some browning, sheath showing the age of the leather. Hook is untouched, most of these were chopped off due to rendering the hook obsolete.

LE No1 night sights, WW1. With the box(?) and very good con., tritium has left the building. If you know LE's you know what these are, their history and that to also get the box is near on impossible. I've never seen another single part let alone a set in box... It's probably going to be better sending those to Wellington or even the dirty old website we love to hate, I just don't know what they are currently worth so in all fairness - I'm open to realistic offers (after all they don't take up much space).

If you are after anything LE related, might pay to send me a PM as I may have it.

I will work on photo's shortly.

I'm assuming the sites are like these? Name:  f61e65f623d0fffe613625158aa6d56b.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  216.8 KB

Yep that's the one except mine are the Sights, Luminous, No1MkII. Saves me taking a photo I guess... The rear sight clip is apparently the first bit to get lost, is that set yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Yep that's the one. Saves me taking a photo I guess... The rear sight clip is apparently the first bit to get lost, is that yours?
    Ha - No. I was just curious as to what this would look like, so I did a search. They sell for upto $1000 in the states. They were far more common in NZ and Aus than anywhere else.

Yeah, were being the operative. I've been looking at Enfield junk for a while, the only other set I've seen was on a rifle and no rear clip or box. The rear sight had been boggy-fitted to keep it on without the clip and if I recall there was some BS story about it being an extremely rare trials night sniping setup. Joy for the people with too much cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    if I recall there was some BS story about it being an extremely rare trials night sniping setup. Joy for the people with too much cash!
    I thought that's what they were? Where did you see one?

They were actually introduced for night use in the trenches, but were not very effective so were scrapped. There was never any trials series and they weren't sniper material due to the design not allowing for accuracy (foresight width is around 6x the standard blade width at a guess, so aiming was pretty much out at anything over point-blank range and you probably didn't need to aim in that situation). They were for harrassing purposes only really, and to be fair artillery was much more effective in that role! The (T) and (F) rifles were a better solution.

As to the 2nd question, IIRC it was at a show. Not an auction in any event, waste of a set of sights if you ask me...

Yech, the bit I'm calling the rear sight clip actually goes over the front sight and stops the second foresight blade from flopping. Slighty poor description from me...
    Last edited by Mauser308; 23-02-2017 at 06:23 PM.