Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BRADS

Thread: Decent Binoculars

Decent Binoculars

Looking to buy a decent pair of binoculars after a set of Redfield 10x42 have only lasted me a year before going hazy. Looking for second hand (in mint condition) or brand new. Would prefer the binos to be 10x42

Unsure of your budget but these would take some beating

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ad.php?t=39129

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Unsure of your budget but these would take some beating

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ad.php?t=39129

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I got those going at cost - but I think he needs bigger
    Those Mountains are great ah :-))
    Love mine !!

If he want FOV and magnification and QUALITY - but does not entend walking the Alps - my Docter are an absolute bargain

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1500323929

I am loosing 500+ on them - got them in for a Troll from that "other place"
    Got proper fished I did on them :-(

They are good Luke - but they are not lightweights !!

@BRADS they aren't quite what I'm looking for but cheers. @Sarvo they look pretty good but are a bit out of my budget

@Lukeduncan

These 6x30 porros will not let you down. Good 3D effect within 100m from the objective lens spread, won't suffer from much visible shake, will allow you to see better than with your own eyes at dusk with their 5mm exit pupil, and will not give you a neck ache from their weight - truly lightweight binos at <500grammes. Easily focused even with gloves thanks to oversized focus wheel. And, as specified, won't break the bank.

Great for hunting, spotting, etc (but not for bird watching as you really need at least 10x for that, given the smallness of the subject and that birdwatchers like to get close enough views to count feathers).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lar_Black.html

Name:  1332866125000_IMG_247030.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  35.6 KB
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

The Hedgehog Preservation Society

Cheers @Cordite most of my hunting is open tussock country and big valleys so i was mainly looking for a 10x42. How do you think they would go in this terrain?

Just "encase" you missed these New Bino's that I have

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....0-binos-38216/

You can have a pair - either 8.5 or 10x50 for $200 +pp
    Guys on here who own love them - and I suing a pair of 8.5x50 myself as base Bino's
    But they are 870gr (10x50's)
    Have very good reviews etc

I won't be getting anymore in as shipping in is too high for this value/weight item.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Just "encase" you missed these New Bino's that I have

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....0-binos-38216/

You can have a pair - either 8.5 or 10x50 for $200 +pp
    Guys on here who own love them - and I suing a pair of 8.5x50 myself as base Bino's
    But they are 870gr (10x50's)
    Have very good reviews etc

I won't be getting anymore in as shipping in is too high for this value/weight item.
    Sam had no trouble spotting deer with my 8.5x50 pair of these on his first deer trip ever. He spotted the first 2 before I did and was still seeing deer right on dusk.

@Lukeduncan,

Can't really explain till you go for a walk at dusk with some decent 6x30s. Mine are ex-yugoslavian made with DDR Karl Zeiss Jena glass and just short of 500 grams. Based on the standard WW2 field binos, each tube has individual focus, which makes it lighter and more waterproof than the central focus ones, and anyway with 6x you have good depth of field and don't need to constantly refocus. I do have a military style reticle in the right eye, but I'm left eye dominant.

Think first, second and third of the weight round your neck. 6x optics are lighter both in weight and in light transmitted to your eyes (thinner lenses as less light bending required) and have a wider field of view to take in a situation, as well as less focusing to do as there is more depth of focus. If you're working in mornings or evenings at lower light, they win.

You need to go up to 10x50 to get similar light-gathering power to 6x30s (objective lens diameter in mm divided by magnification = 5mm exit pupil in both cases), but even then there is not quite as much light coming through the thicker glass of 10x binos (nitpicking).

High magnification is less useful for spotting over a longer period as it tires you out, from heavier weight and perceptible image shake, unless you have them on a tripod. The 6x30s on the other hand can be used one handed.

About the high country tussock... not sure of how much distance you require from your binos. 6x gets you nearer your point of interest, to equivalent of a sixth of the actual distance.

You really need several optics to get the best of both worlds. A ready example are WW2 British snipers who had the ~4x scope on their rifle + 6x30 binos + a powerful zoom monocular extendable telescope for long distance spotting/scouting. Nowadays, pairing 6x30s with a fairly powerful zoom telescopic sight (even a 3x-9x) lets you have (nearly) the same range of advantage (the old army monoculars could be 30-60x magnification).

Name:  8c12105f26b268f948653a385d606f36.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  105.7 KB

For a tested design, based on WW2 field glasses:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FMC-BAK4-Po...sAAOSwNRdX3zuL

@Lukeduncan,

Can't really explain till you go for a walk at dusk with some decent 6x30s. Mine are ex-yugoslavian made with DDR Karl Zeiss Jena glass and just short of 500 grams. Based on the standard WW2 field binos, each tube has individual focus, which makes it lighter and more waterproof than the central focus ones, and anyway with 6x you have good depth of field and don't need to constantly refocus. I do have a military style reticle in the right eye, but I'm left eye dominant.

Think first, second and third of the weight round your neck. 6x optics are lighter both in weight and in light transmitted to your eyes (thinner lenses as less light bending required) and have a wider field of view to take in a situation, as well as less focusing to do as there is more depth of focus. If you're working in mornings or evenings at lower light, they win.

You need to go up to 10x50 to get similar light-gathering power to 6x30s (objective lens diameter in mm divided by magnification = 5mm exit pupil in both cases), but even then there is not quite as much light coming through the thicker glass of 10x binos (nitpicking).

High magnification is less useful for spotting over a longer period as it tires you out, from heavier weight and perceptible image shake, unless you have them on a tripod. The 6x30s on the other hand can be used one handed.

About the high country tussock... not sure of how much distance you require from your binos. 6x gets you nearer your point of interest, to equivalent of a sixth of the actual distance.

You really need several optics to get the best of both worlds. A ready example are WW2 British snipers who had the ~4x scope on their rifle + 6x30 binos + a powerful zoom monocular extendable telescope for long distance spotting/scouting. Nowadays, pairing 6x30s with a fairly powerful zoom telescopic sight (even a 3x-9x) lets you have (nearly) the same range of advantage (the old army monoculars could be 30-60x magnification).

Attachment 80526

For a tested design, based on WW2 field glasses:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FMC-BAK4-Po...sAAOSwNRdX3zuL