Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Deer rifle tikka/howa

Deer rifle tikka/howa

Gday
    Recently you would have seen my younger brother blade asking about deer hunting. Since then he had a huge response from all you giving him not only advice but gear! Ive decided I might try giving deer stalking a decent nudge. And we can learn together. So i recently looked at a Remington 788 but I have since changed my mind. I tried both howa and tikka for fit as I have seen people suggest try them for fit I may buy new but i do like second hand. After quite a lot of research Im pretty much set on
    308 or 6.5x55 potentially 270
    If someone has something second hand either bare rifle or scopes let me know

your price range might help.....your 3 calibres of choice are versatile enough just 308 ammo is usually cheaper and easier to get in some places , if you shoot with a mate maybe get the same calibre (handy if you get to the bush and realise you left your ammo in the safe......it does happen)
    timattalon likes this.

Would love it if you bought my Tikka Super Varmint, but I think the Tikka 7mm08 is alot closer to what you are after.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....08-sale-48096/

Good point mate ! Not to sure what a second hand tikka is worth but maybe 1200/1500 for a tikka 1500 if it’s scoped not sure if I’m low balling there or not. And will pay up to 1000 for a howa maybe more if it ha good scope or suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    your price range might help.....your 3 calibres of choice are versatile enough just 308 ammo is usually cheaper and easier to get in some places , if you shoot with a mate maybe get the same calibre (handy if you get to the bush and realise you left your ammo in the safe......it does happen)
    I will keep it in mind mate!

$1500 should get you a very nice tikka rifle, scope set up, if not suppressed aswell. Just remember if you are going to let your brother shoot it i wouldn't be going 270

Howa 6.5cm with Bases on TM for $650-700ish. The Tikka 7mm08 for $1100 isnt bad. My .243 is cheap for a Super Varmint, but not within your wanted Calibers or price range.

Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Open to all calibers but those listed are preferred i do like the sound of 243 also

Selling my Tikka at the moment, can do it for $1700+shipping
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-6-5x55-48113/

Quote Originally Posted by Treefeller View Post
    Gday
    Recently you would have seen my younger brother blade asking about deer hunting. Since then he had a huge response from all you giving him not only advice but gear! Ive decided I might try giving deer stalking a decent nudge. And we can learn together. So i recently looked at a Remington 788 but I have since changed my mind. I tried both howa and tikka for fit as I have seen people suggest try them for fit I may buy new but i do like second hand. After quite a lot of research Im pretty much set on
    308 or 6.5x55 potentially 270
    If someone has something second hand either bare rifle or scopes let me know
    Hi treefeller, pm senr

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

If the .243 Super Varmint fits what you are looking for, PM to discuss price.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    $1500 should get you a very nice tikka rifle, scope set up, if not suppressed aswell. Just remember if you are going to let your brother shoot it i wouldn't be going 270
    why?
    #30GANG....

its like buying a 1000cc bike when you don't even know how to ride a scooter yet, a small percentage will handle it, some will manage it and others be shit scared and never ride again
    6x47 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    why?
    This. It’s a .270, not a 470NE... No 270 fan but the rep as a cannon is a bit out of control.

On the other hand a 6.5 of some description probably isn’t a bad idea. And you can’t go too wrong with .308 either. Keep an eye out for something nicer used.
    Spudattack and Steve123 like this.