Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Doner rifle or action for long range bpcr build

Ive been doing alot more bpcr(black powder cartridge rifle) shooting lately and I have a nice trapdoor springfeild which I love to shoot but it has bad points mostly its to light to short and twist rate isnít the best for heavy cast bullets
    So im planning to slowly start putting the parts together to eventually build a more Purpose-built rig
    I need an action something like a martini or rolling block is preferable
    The cheaper the better barrel condition is of no concern a good strong action is a must light rust no issue ether

Just seeing whatís arround
    Cheers

Put the keyboard down. Now kick it over here.

Winchester model 94 any use to you?

That martini could be "good to go" as is, brass is available from bertram, and old spanz cases are still about.
    The martini action is not really suitable for the long (over 3 1/2 inch) sharps type cartridges like the 45 120 due to the geometry of the block. 45/70s fine but the 577/450 has more powder capacity and is happy with 500 grain bullets.
    If straight case is your wish then a rolling block or sharps style action would be better.
    Out of interest what ranges are you considering? As a member of the wellington blackpowder club in the 80s I occasionally shot long range (between 500 and 1000yds) at trentham. Guys were using springfields, martinis, muzzle loaders and all getting out to the targets it just took the bullets a while to arrive. Fullbore shooters were suprised by this more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    id own that in a hartbeat if i had the cash mate but not as a long ranger i would hate to install sights etc on it
    id keep it org

normal v sights don't work the best been there tryed that
    kinda need elevation and wind adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    That martini could be "good to go" as is, brass is available from bertram, and old spanz cases are still about.
    The martini action is not really suitable for the long (over 3 1/2 inch) sharps type cartridges like the 45 120 due to the geometry of the block. 45/70s fine but the 577/450 has more powder capacity and is happy with 500 grain bullets.
    If straight case is your wish then a rolling block or sharps style action would be better.
    Out of interest what ranges are you considering? As a member of the wellington blackpowder club in the 80s I occasionally shot long range (between 500 and 1000yds) at trentham. Guys were using springfields, martinis, muzzle loaders and all getting out to the targets it just took the bullets a while to arrive. Fullbore shooters were suprised by this more than once.
    just a good 45/70 is all i need/want shooting arroud 4-500 depending on the event (just stating to push it a little for my trapdoor carbine and 405gn pills) according to some very experienced bpcr long range 1000yard shooters
    would like to start pushing the range out a bit once i have a slightly more suitable rifle

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Winchester model 94 any use to you?
    not realy mate need a single shot but what have you got

Why dont you save up and get a Uberti High Wall or a Pedersoli Sharps rifle from Neil Hayes? Add a creedmore sight and you cant get better than that, long range competition is what they were made for...
    Building one up from an action would probably cost more.
    Put the keyboard down. Now kick it over here.

Try to get one of these, its the rear sight on my 1884 rifle its a buffington rear sight which will get you out to 1400 yards at according to the graduations anyway.
    I have also seen a h&r reproduction 1875 officers model with the wrist aperture fitted, that could also be an option
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Probly not strong enough and too pricy but I have a Winchester 1885 Low-wall (flat spring) C/F action that I'd part with (since I have a Stevens 44 1/2 coming) $650

These flat spring actions are the most wonderful single shot you'll ever cycle the action of - a positive tension on the lever cocked or uncocked