Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bent Barrel
  • 2 Post By Mauser308

Thread: Electronic shooting earmuffs

Electronic shooting earmuffs

Hey guys. Anyone have some electronic earmuffs they want to part with before I go new? Or any advise on brands or models to go for.
    Cheers
    Aim small , miss small

Buy new. Howard Leight sports earmuffs
    Dublin likes this.

What do you need them for rifle or shotgun?

This article may help. Some of the brands you wont get but you will get a better idea on what you need.
    https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shootin...shooting-88222
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Thanks guys, will be mainly for rifle shooting. But also shotgun. Will look into both of those
    Aim small , miss small

Hey Curtis, if itís just for all day shooting on range & wanting to still communicate and have a yarn then the peltor predators are great (slim and compact). I have a pair that are near new & would be better use to someone who needs the protection & shoots a crap more than me. $80 & you can have them.
    BTW Iím a clinical audiologist & would not put you crook re your hearing 😜Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Barrel View Post
    I picked up some purple ones for about $60 odd new on either ebay or amazon? Just painted them once they arrived. There excellent for bush stalking but can get a bit hot.

Word of warning though, theres heaps of fake/imitations around of dubious quality online now. Personally i'd think your probably better going to your local and getting them on special for $150 odd. Otherwise do your homework re what to look out for to differentiate fake from legit...

All the best!

I have some Howard leights, still found things a bit loud at the range, next to a 25-06, (but I'm one of those types that will turn the radio in the car down so I can see the road better). Bought some Peltor protak shooter. Great noise reduction and sound quality is much better but I still don't like being that close to some of the louder rifles. They are also quite bulky and could make it difficult to get good cheek weld.

Quote Originally Posted by B.pope View Post
    Hey Curtis, if it’s just for all day shooting on range & wanting to still communicate and have a yarn then the peltor predators are great (slim and compact). I have a pair that are near new & would be better use to someone who needs the protection & shoots a crap more than me. $80 & you can have them.
    BTW I’m a clinical audiologist & would not put you crook re your hearing ��Cheers
    Awesome! Get on it @Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Barrel View Post
    I got a pair of these but they didn't last very long, static even when turned off

Quote Originally Posted by B.pope View Post
    Hey Curtis, if it’s just for all day shooting on range & wanting to still communicate and have a yarn then the peltor predators are great (slim and compact). I have a pair that are near new & would be better use to someone who needs the protection & shoots a crap more than me. $80 & you can have them.
    BTW I’m a clinical audiologist & would not put you crook re your hearing ��Cheers
    Hey that would be great I will take you up on that. Thanks everyone for your replies. All great help. Cheers.
    B.Pope I'll send you a PM
    Aim small , miss small

Peltor are pretty much the go to standard in the industry (along with the MSA Sordins for those with either deep pockets, long arms or both) but be aware that some of the slimline models are limited in their basic protection level (meeting Level 4 or even Level 3 reduction levels only).

A lot of the models even in the Peltor range either don't list their basic sound reduction level or have it buried deep in the technical specs. As most are designed for recreational use (shooting and the like) it's not usually an issue and will protect from most impulse use, but if you are planning on using for work as well you might run into issues if you have an on-to-it H&S person that know's their crap.

I've got a pair of the Peltor Sporttac type that I use for work in the cab, fine for that role as I'm looking for ambient reduction only (rattles, squeaks and engine noise) with still being able to hear the radio. I find the Sporttac's don't reduce the noise enough on the range (RO duties so standing right in the direct line of muzzle break back blast) and for that I have a full size pair of Peltor Tactical's which are rated Grade 5+. The difference is light and day, but a $800 pair vs $250 for the Sporttac. I've also used those around turbine engines and those sort of very high intensity noise environments and the top rated models are the minimum you go for (sometimes doubled up with earplugs underneath and also keeping ya gob closed unless ya need it to minimise bone transfer - which apparently isn't a thing until you get to a site where it is).

The good thing for the Peltor type is the electronics are well protected from sweat in the current models (not so much in the earlier versions and this is where a lot of the static issues came from with internal corrosion). Also, the ear cups are the same type as the standard Pelter Grade 5 earmuffs so comfort kits with replacement cups etc are readily available. Can't speak for any of the other brands apart from the MSA's (which are the absolute gold standard and I'm to cheap to buy them for myself), have used Howard Leight passive earmuffs which functioned well but needed comfort kits earlier than some of the other brands due to the ear cups going hard (not sure about the electronic versions for this). Pretty much roll with Peltor only now, due to the mix of performance, cost, longevity and ease of sourcing comfort kits.
    Phil_H and Stump like this.