Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: empty 12ga hulls

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,518

    empty 12ga hulls

    is there any target shooers out there that have a hole bunch of empty low (or high brass) 2-3/4shells they don't need after about 200 for reloading with black powder prefer cheap or even free if you can raid the bins at the club

    happy to pay post or pick up in Auckland
    Scouser and Beaker like this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Taupo
    Posts
    330
    I have some you can have, they are at work and will count them on Monday and pm you.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Posts
    3,973
    Need up dates on your project to.....
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,518
    not really a project mate more a extension to a hobby I've been shooting black powder for years but when it comes to the shotgun events I've always just borrowed a gun for the shoot and just supplied ammo
    ive been keeping an eye out for an old double barrel hammer gun and just getting the gear sorted for when I find one..... no rush I what the right one ive been very lucky to have @Pointer helping me out he's been a big help without him I would have brought at least 2 shitters by now

    just scored a Baikal single shot for $62 bucks on a $1res trademe listing but shipping was a killer and didn't end up all that cheap at $112 all up including shipping the going rate is $120 2nd hand -oh well live and learn...... anyway that will get me shooting till I find the hammer gun I want then ill probably cut it down to legal length and sell it on as a bail gun for a pig hunter after shooting some wax slugs and cut shells through it for shits and giggles
    Scouser and Beaker like this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    spreydon christcurch.
    Posts
    4,339
    I think I ve got a bag of MTs sititng in me man cave somewhere -ill look tommorow and if the'yre there youre bloody welcome to take em. in fact you might be one of them good bastards ,so i could save me mts and when theres enough toss em your way.best of luck with ya shootin!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by ONYVA View Post
    I have some you can have, they are at work and will count them on Monday and pm you.
    awesome mate cheers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    I think I ve got a bag of MTs sititng in me man cave somewhere -ill look tommorow and if the'yre there youre bloody welcome to take em. in fact you might be one of them good bastards ,so i could save me mts and when theres enough toss em your way.best of luck with ya shootin!
    certainly ive have a lot of mates that are bp shooters also I could give them to if I get over run recycle them is better for the planet to hate to think how many plastic hulls are biffed every year and most of them are fine to use again

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,278
    Are you aware that not all hulls are made the same? You can run into trouble reloading two piece hulls.
    One piece compression formed are preferred for reloading.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,518
    Yep will go through them and throw out any dodgy ones black powder is a lot less pressure than even the lightest of target loads so less likely to run issues if useing 2 peice shells but try not to

  10. #10
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    4,425
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    not really a project mate more a extension to a hobby I've been shooting black powder for years but when it comes to the shotgun events I've always just borrowed a gun for the shoot and just supplied ammo
    ive been keeping an eye out for an old double barrel hammer gun and just getting the gear sorted for when I find one..... no rush I what the right one ive been very lucky to have @Pointer helping me out he's been a big help without him I would have brought at least 2 shitters by now

    just scored a Baikal single shot for $62 bucks on a $1res trademe listing but shipping was a killer and didn't end up all that cheap at $112 all up including shipping the going rate is $120 2nd hand -oh well live and learn...... anyway that will get me shooting till I find the hammer gun I want then ill probably cut it down to legal length and sell it on as a bail gun for a pig hunter after shooting some wax slugs and cut shells through it for shits and giggles
    you will enjoy the rusky..they are good guns to use and very safe to carry when you de cock them.
    couple of tricks to them
    undo main screw in buttstock and see if you can lever stock down a little and do screw back up...you have to really get down on them to have them shoot to point of aim,also take a triangle file and make a notch in the ramp on action that you look over when taking aim...it will make you tuck head down lower so you can use it as crude rifle sights...I have shot thousands of rounds through mine.....its had choke chopped off then heated and beated to put small amount back in and also ported barrel with 3mm drill bit and the black n decker...6 holes about half inch apart on each side of barrel at 10;30 and 1;30 sure seems to help with felt recoil as it keeps muzzle down somewhat.
    yes I know you point a shottie not aim but being tighter than a tight thing in the choke dept you have got little margin for error with sitting bunny at 15 yards...at 10 yards you either pluck its head off/ blow it in half or clean miss.
    also if you decide to circumcise barrel to open choke be aware they read between 1/2 and 1/4 choke all the way along..... so don't take off very much at all and stop when choke guage reads 3/4 and you will be about 1/2 choke and have shit hot brick shit house knock around gun.

  11. #11
    Member Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    4,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you will enjoy the rusky..they are good guns to use and very safe to carry when you de cock them.
    couple of tricks to them
    undo main screw in buttstock and see if you can lever stock down a little and do screw back up...you have to really get down on them to have them shoot to point of aim,also take a triangle file and make a notch in the ramp on action that you look over when taking aim...it will make you tuck head down lower so you can use it as crude rifle sights...I have shot thousands of rounds through mine.....its had choke chopped off then heated and beated to put small amount back in and also ported barrel with 3mm drill bit and the black n decker...6 holes about half inch apart on each side of barrel at 10;30 and 1;30 sure seems to help with felt recoil as it keeps muzzle down somewhat.












    yes I know you point a shottie not aim but being tighter than a tight thing in the choke dept you have got little margin for error with sitting bunny at 15 yards...at 10 yards you either pluck its head off/ blow it in half or clean miss.
    also if you decide to circumcise barrel to open choke be aware they read between 1/2 and 1/4 choke all the way along..... so don't take off very much at all and stop when choke guage reads 3/4 and you will be about 1/2 choke and have shit hot brick shit house knock around gun.
    Hi guys, having just bought a Baikal M18 single barrel shotgun, im really interested in your mods @mickey Duck I smiled when you mentioned the V notch sight on the thumb ramp as I saw that one straight away.....could you explain the 'lever the stock down' bit clearer.....not sure I get your drift

    Mines a full choke, is it possible to hone out the chrome to make it 'modified'? So I don't have to make 'made to measure slugs'?

    Might do the drilled ported mod too.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

  12. #12
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    3,565
    Solids (slugs, brennike etc) should be fired through a cylinder bore but for safety reasons are sized so they will safely work thought a full choke. Accuracy is supposed to be better with the cylinder bore but unless its got sights fitted you might not notice.

  13. #13
    Gold member Pointer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    3,885
    Don't go heat 'n beat or cutting it down, a DIY but much more predictable option is to get a brake cylinder hone from repco and stick it in a drill. Take it to the pattern board, hone the first inch only, pattern it, repeat until it is shooting the pattern you want.
    Scouser and Tommy like this.

  14. #14
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    4,425
    yip pointer we progressed to honing later on...LMAO
    scouser...take off the buttplate and get a long flat screwdriver..CAREFULLY put driver into screwhead and undo...good opertunity to take it right out and LEARN how the action works ,so you can see what is happening when you lower lever to uncock.
    when you put it back together you should find you can "wiggle" stock up or down a little bit before you tighten screw right up... taking stock down in effect lowers rear sight ..so if you can drop it a bit it all helps as stock standard they tighter than a nuns nasty and shoot high......
    any issues flick me a PM and will see if we can suss it out.
    Scouser and Beaker like this.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    spreydon christcurch.
    Posts
    4,339
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    certainly ive have a lot of mates that are bp shooters also I could give them to if I get over run recycle them is better for the planet to hate to think how many plastic hulls are biffed every year and most of them are fine to use again
    bugger it squire -someone has turfed the bag of empties i had hanging on the door.bloody son and his shed cleanups. no matter ills ave some for you.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: .410 hulls
    By mawzer308 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2016, 05:08 PM
  2. WTB: Winchester AA hulls 12GA
    By jakesae101 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-05-2016, 07:37 AM
  3. WTB: 410 Winchester Hulls
    By Spanners in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-02-2016, 08:51 PM
  4. steel hulls
    By mike180 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-05-2015, 04:05 AM
  5. WTB: Winchester 12g AA Hulls
    By Spanners in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!