Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shelley

Thread: ESEE5 hunters orange, kydex sheath, additional ESEE pouch and tin with hardware

ESEE5 hunters orange, kydex sheath, additional ESEE pouch and tin with hardware

This is the possibly the toughest knife I have used, its got a full 1/4 inch or 6.35 mm thick spine with a saber grind. Its designed as a pilots escape knife, theory is if your plane goes down (and you survive that) this knife will let you chop your self out of the plane, build shelters, start fires, process game and do what you need to to get your self out of dodge and rescued. Now all of that is probably not really needed but it does make one heck of a tough knife perfect for kiwi bush.

Name:  IMG_2324.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  2.22 MB
    Name:  IMG_2325.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  1.84 MB
    Name:  IMG_2326.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  1.36 MB

The 135 mm or 5.25 inch blade is made from 1095 high carbon steel and is coated in an orange material to prevent rust, this is capable of being removed with sandpaper and paint stripper if one wanted, but I find with it one I can put the knife down and find it again very easily, plus I like orange.

The 140 mm handle, including a sharpened grass beaker at the end, is orange G10, not the usual micarta these come in, it has a bow drill divet on one side and is attached to the full metal tang by way of three allen screws that can be removed and replaced with after market, or genuine esee handle scales in different colours and materials.

The full length of the knife is 280 mm or about 11 inches. The weight of just the blade is 466 grams, this is not a light knife, a survival expert once said a survival knife should be a sharpened crow bar, and this fits the bill nicely. So saying this has a slight drop point and will skin out an animal nicely.

Talking of sharp I have put a razors edge on it, the 1095 hold a good edge and with a rockwell hardness of 55-57 it sharpens without needing fancy equipment.

The sheath is one of the best I have ever seen, its kydex, not injected folded plastic, with a ambidextrous touting clip and belt look (undo the screws flip it over do back up the screws and its a lefty), it has sever mounting eyelids andante a fantastic thumb lock, with that done up you can bunny jump and the knife will stay put, but push it forward and the blade slips out into your and nicely.
    Included is a genuine ESEE pouch and tin with the screws to most to the front of your sheath, this will hold tinder, a sharpening stone, bandaids, a lighter, whistle, anything you may want to carry with you in the bush, very handy.

It comes with the legendary ESEE warranty that follows the knife and not the purchaser, basically you break it and they fix or replace it, seriously you can chop it in half with an angle grinder, send it to them and they will send you back a new one, probably accompanied by a very strongly worded letter, but they will replace it. Only rust on the blade they will not fix, thats why the blade is coated.

This one has been used by me, the blade has a few marks on it and at the very tip the coating has peeled off on the spine, and there is a couple of scuff marks on the handle, otherwise its fine.
    Its stamped with the serial number 11214 on the side of the glass beaker.

These sell for between $349 and $299 new over here, the pouch sells for another $50. I want $250, to be honest I do not really want to sell it but its too good a knife to not be used and enjoyed by someone, and its not getting used by me anymore, I would consider trading it, with cash difference for a Ruger 10/22 takedown if anyone had one they were willing to part with, otherwise cash is good!
    Shelley 021727546
    Scouser likes this.

Bloody serious knives, got one and then got the 3inch. If you manage to break one of here I'd love to see how you do it

Bump.

Seriously, nobody like pilot knives?