Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: f/tr f class rifle

f/tr f class rifle

looking at getting into long range, figured an easy option might be to buy someone else's rifle that is already set up. anyone looking at moving one along?

A good way to start as long as you're not buying someone else's problem child.

Where do you live? Have you considered approaching your nearest club(s) first?

What calibre are you after - I assume you're wanting 308 not 223?

Do you want turnkey solution - including bipod, scope, rear bag, cases, powder, primers, projectiles, dies, gun case etcetera? Some of these or just a rifle?

I'm not (really) trying to be a smart arse, the more information you can give the better answers you will get.

For example: I might have a 223 savage for sale that has had 2 seasons of FTR with about 3000 rounds through the barrel. Great beginners rifle, shoots competitively out to 800 yards, 1000 yards in lighter winds. Probably needs a new barrel. Probably wouldn't ship outside of the South Island. Probably not what you're after, but can't tell from your question.

Hi, live in northland, no local clubs, closest would be whangarei, im after 308, i have a nice 223. (will even consider 6mmbr or 6.5 creedmore)
    will not be competing, just after this style of rifle.

Possibly even keen on just an action if someone has one floating around.

I have a .308 savage in a mcmillan stock, i used it for FTR for a while and it shot bloody well.

Bare rifle, it's now threaded and has a 20 MOA rail on it.

PM an offer if you're interested, but not 100% sure I want to sell it. I'm in Whangarei.

Name:  147217434_full.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  65.0 KB
    Cyclops and WallyR like this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedirge View Post
    will not be competing, just after this style of rifle.
    I'm curious about what you want to use an FTR style rifle for if you do not intend competing. True FTR rifles are pretty specific beasties, single-shot, 30 inch + barrels, MOA based reticles/turrets, 1/8 clicks etc. If you intent shooting gongs etc, there may well be more practical options...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

As above, what do you intend to shoot? Did you have a budget in mind? I have a custom 6.5-284 based on a long action Tikka that I am considering moving on which has been used for long range shooting (out to 1200yards) on steel. Currently sits in a senator varmint stock and wears a ACTAR. Shoots sub 1/2 moa all day. PM me if your interested in more details. I am also in Whangarei.

I am currently shooting single shot hand loads with a 1/8 scope 223 benchrest/target, and I would like to try a bit further out, I prefer single shot, and prefer targets to gongs. so effectively an f class style rifle for recreational target shooting out to 1km.
    I figured I would get more of the style of rifle I was after by mentioning f class rather than long range.
    I also do 22lr aperture sight target and am contemplating a palma rifle as the next step on that side of things.
    ebf and WallyR like this.

ebf
    Ok, action wise it depends how much you want to spend. General consensus would be Barnard P or Barnard S with a Jewell BR trigger. On the cheap end either an Omark or Musgrave RSA action would be options. Davies triggers in Aus makes some very nice 2-stage F-class triggers for both of those. Musgrave is easy to bed and has Mauser style bolt. Omarks probably bit more common, as long as you get a Nielsen adapter it is relatively easy to rebarrel.

All the Whangarei guys I know are F-class. Ask around other clubs, lots of the old guys have several rifles in the cupboard, and top shooters tend to have several barrels that are no longer at their absolute peak, but still very good.
    WallyR likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

I have a savage 12 Fclass in 6br I'm thinking of selling, has a benchsource 20 Moa rail, rifle basix sav 2 trigger, ptg fluted bolt, ptg bolt lift kit, aftermarket bolt handle, fired approx 1500 rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There must be some more target rifles out there, even if you dont want to sell them show them so i can get some ideas.

New thread? Pics of long range rigs?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  186.4 KB

Grunting & emiger in 308 with sight ton sIII MOA, and adjustable front bipod, could let it go for 2k if your interested pm me also got aperture sights for it
    WallyR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Attachment 48573

Grunting & emiger in 308 with sight ton sIII MOA, and adjustable front bipod, could let it go for 2k if your interested pm me also got aperture sights for it
    Nice rig - outside my price range
    @Thedirge
    I bought a TR complete outfit in 308, (Sportco/Omark action with adapt or), for $500 a while ago.
    Will be threaded for suppressor (Waitaki Engineering 30 cal magnum - 18 X 1 thread for $400 [suppressor cost] + fitting & thread protector $100?).
    20 MOA rail to buy and have fitted - $200?
    Already have a Nikko 6-24 X 56 AO, 1/8 clicks, 30 mm tube ready to go (cost off this site $100 inc. shipping).
    There were a 20 MOA rail and 30mm rings (set), for a Tikka action for $200 on this market.
    Seriously considering this.
    Some woodwork to do - nil cost.
    Just to show it can be done (cheapish).
    Cheers

I have an Omark that I bought for my son as I thought he might get interested in shooting competitively however he's not that keen.
    Has the Neilson adaptor and replacement barrel at some stage.
    Have only had it to the range once but seemed to shoot well.
    After $450 for it.
    WallyR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dedubyah View Post
    I have an Omark that I bought for my son as I thought he might get interested in shooting competitively however he's not that keen.
    Has the Neilson adaptor and replacement barrel at some stage.
    Have only had it to the range once but seemed to shoot well.
    After $450 for it.
    @Thedirge
    This is a good starter LR rig, at a price that isn't exorbitant.
    You'll need a scope that can get your vision out to the target, and a mounting system that'll hold zero.
    If it's an original Sportco/Omark, with Neilsen adaptor and a barrel that will hold your interest, you might get 'hooked' - just ask @ebf.
    Cyclops likes this.