Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: factory ammo boxes

factory ammo boxes

Hello,

Travelling from Auckland to Christchurch for some LR and tahr hunting action. Airnz apparently need the ammo (factory only) in factory boxes. Anyone have 5 empty boxes they are willing to sell?

Kind regards,

Totarahunter.

Quote Originally Posted by TotaraHunter View Post
    Hello,

Travelling from Auckland to Christchurch for some LR and tahr hunting action. Airnz apparently need the ammo (factory only) in factory boxes. Anyone have 5 empty boxes they are willing to sell?

Kind regards,

Totarahunter.
    What caliber??

I haven't travelled with ammo before , but if they are reloads , can they go in the little plastic boxes? .... if that's the case , couldn't you say they were reloads , and use the mtm boxes ?
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Anyone have 5 empty boxes they are willing to sell?
    100 rounds? that's a lot of Tahr.

I haven't travelled with ammo before , but if they are reloads , can they go in the little plastic boxes? .... if that's the case , couldn't you say they were reloads , and use the mtm boxes ?
    I don't know if this works. I thought it had to be in the "manufacturers box" and there was no allowance for reloads. I think Totarahunters intention is to pass reloads off as factory ammo (like they'd ever know the difference.)

I took reloads in a mtm box and told them the lady didnt care she was more concerned with how much it weighed. After I told her 50 6.5 rounds dont weigh 5kg she was cool

The AirNZ info and CAA regulations both state that ammo must be "securely packaged". This is subjective and makes no mention of it needing to be factory ammo or in a factory package. A lockable "cash box" or similar should be sufficient. Ask whoever you spoke with at AirNZ for a reference to whatever policy they're quoting.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Professional Armed Tramper lost's Avatar
    Have travelled AKL-CHCH a few times with reloads in the MTM plastic boxes (or similar).. All I did was tape them shut so they dont open and go loose all through me bag. As Toby said, as she cared about was if it weighed less than 5kg, and if my bolt was stored separately from my rifle.
    Danny likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Same. I fly with guns and ammo about 10 times a year, on AirNZ, with reloads and have had no problems.

You don't need to call them prior to the flight as it's a domestic flight only. Rock up, be polite, say you're checking in with firearms, yes the bolt is packed separately, yes the firearm is in a locked bag, yes you have less than 5kg of ammunition, yes the ammunition is on a locked bag, how's your day going ? yes I have no firearms parts in my carry on luggage. I pre-empt their questions by just telling them the above.

Your bag will be tagged with a tag you have to sign, and keep the carbon copy of, then you'll be asked to take the firearm down to the over sized luggage checkin, where it'll be weighed again. When you pick up your firearm bag at the end of the flight, generally at the over-sized luggage area, you'll need to present your copy of your firearms label, they check the numbers and signature match, then you're off.

Your bag with ammo and bolt will sometimes be tagged with the firearms label too - it depends on the check in staff, and sometimes they need a little guidance and understanding.

Don't use the kiosk, go directly to the service desk for check in, generally there's a queue of tourists. Sometimes we use the Special Assistance desk for fun. Then take your rifle to the over-sized luggage drop off, it's towards the left hand end of the airport, there's a coffee shop opposite it. Then walk back the other way to past arrivals towards the security, with McD and Dunkin Donuts on the right. Make sure you have no firearms parts on you, you'll be stopped by security, as they do check and know what to look for.

Well all of the above has worked for me for years , last time was Easter and due again in 2 x October, 1 x November.
    Last edited by Kscott; 11-08-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    Bryan, R93 and stretch like this.

what do they do if you are carrying say ,...... little guns in your check luggage.ie (not rifles).. they don't weigh them do they ?

20 round slip boxes with a heavy duty rubber band made out of inner tube is all I have ever used - never had problems. Many a moon since I have had a factory ammo box in my house.
    PS: If possible sit on the opposite side of the plane to where the bring the luggage out to. You just don't want to see how they sometimes handle firearm type boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    what do they do if you are carrying say ,...... little guns in your check luggage.ie (not rifles).. they don't weigh them do they ?
    Sorry should've been more clearer. At Auckland, the bag carrying my little guns is still weighed when it's put in at the over-sized check in as there's on it, because of the firearm tag. At other airports, that same bag is just heaved in with all the other luggage. Queenstown, Christchurch, Wellington, Dunedin, all have had me put my rifle case in via the oversized checkin. The same plus Wanganui and Palmerston North, my little guns just get hurled in with everything else, except they have firearms tag on it. AirNZ have become more efficient at weighing everything when checking in now, it's pretty hard to buy pass weight limits. Smaller airports like P Nth, Wanganui, Dunedin are way easier to deal with. Queenstown pretty good as they see a lot of guns, ChCh & Wellington was the slowest due to having to explain to the check in person what I had and what I/they needed to do. All good in the end though. Worst experience for me was Jetstar, check in called Australia to see if it was ok to have firearms, and then it went downhill.

Important note - can't have your ammo in the same bag as any guns, so always pay/buy 2 x bags on flights if you're travelling with firearms.

And when coming home, the weight is less for the ammo carrying bag too

edit: Yes I still tell check in the bolt is out of my little guns , weird I know but all they know is firearms can't have the bolt in them when travelling, they don't know different types firearms have different types of bolts. No biggie, for me a smooth check in = less stress for everyone and things get done quickly with no fuss. Touch wood, I've never had a hassle flying with AirNZ and my firearms.
    Last edited by Kscott; 11-08-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    Maca49 and stumpy like this.

Yikes, sorry for the rambling I've just noticed this thread is in buy and sell so it has drifted off course a little, like MH370 !

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Yikes, sorry for the rambling I've just noticed this thread is in buy and sell so it has drifted off course a little, like MH370 !
    yeesh .... tempting fate by mentioning that before you fly bro .....

I got absolutely given the third degree at Auckland .Had Shotgun ammo in a gun belt ,in a bag that was secure with tape, she was not impressed said it had to be in original packet etc .I Had my shotgun broken down in a case , then in a large dive bag , i then had a separate bag in the same dive bag with my ammo . can't do that made me remove every thing including two dead pheasants onto the floor infront of everyone . Felt like a complete tool . I told here i flew up that way , she was not impressed and was going to give ch ch a chisel up . Id follow the rules and try find boxes @TotaraHunter if you come across that bitch
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

@Munsey I must've struck the same woman...just picked up a collectible Mosin Nagent in Akld, packaged it up in factory (Tikka T3) box taped for Africa. Woman says not in lockable box...I say have travelled heaps of times with rifle in gun case not locked. This was 730am. Walked to Post Shop near terminal and waited an hour for it to open with flight rescheduled in meantime. Went in they said no way we don't ship firearms, parts, or even replicas. So call a cab ($70) to take me to Fastways in Penrose...reschedule flight on way. Hand it over the counter no questions asked and turned up at few days later no problem. I have learnt the hard way make sure I follow the rules!
    Munsey likes this.