Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: fence energiser

Oh and and also if you comparing units, Gallagher measures itís units performance in stored energy and pel/strainrite measures in kj of output, both make good units

Induced voltage.
    But should be low amperage.
    One of the reason you shouldn't run fences parallel to hv lines.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

I'm in pumice country, but get a good earth using the bottom wire of a 9 wire fence. Where the fence drops down into a wet gully (100m from the unit) I have three earthing pegs connected to the bottom wire, buried down in the bog.

If you buy a unit that comes with a solar panel, take the panel off and wire the unit up to a cheap 150 watt solar panel. The solar panels that come with energisers are pathetic, and only work properly in the middle of summer. Take it off and wire it to the tractor, to keep the battery topped up!
    7mmwsm, 40mm and Localman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I'll have a crack not as expert as Andy but when wires run in parallel for a long time the electricity can jump, hence the power lines go from side to side on the poles, its called line inductance.
    We have it on really long fences with outriggers, I just run a bit of number 8 down through all the wires into the ground at the strainer to sort it.
    Edit I have no idea if this is fact its just what I've put it down to over the years

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    That would have something to do with electro magnetic fields then. Surely.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You can hook the earth wire up to a cold fence and use that to carry the circuit away from the unit. Where the fence crosses a swamp or wet area, drive the earth pegs in to the moist area at the recommended spaces.
    @andyanimal31 on my deer fences I run a hot wire at the ninth from the ground and another hot on the back of the post at the same height. My conventional fences are nine wire with top and third down hot.
    I get about 2000 volts building up on the cold wires either side of the hot ones. It's on pretty much all of the fences. And it's not shorts.
    Is that a earth issue?
    Sorry to hijack your thread 40.
    Brads summed it up with that been called inductance.
    Yep anywhere you are running electric fence wires parallel with conventional fence you will get that.
    It's a pain at gates when they get hot.
    Just force some number 8 or similar as far down the side of the strainer that you can into the soil then staple that wire over the wires that are wrapped around the strainer and it will earth the induction.
    Induction doesn't affect the voltage of the fence as it is not a short.

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    7mmwsm, zimmer and 40mm like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!