Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: first rifle

first rifle

Hey all I am new to the forum and a mate who is already on here told me it is a good place to look to but a rifle.
    I am looking for ideally a Tikka in 7mm or 308 but open to other rifles in those sizes.
    Budget is around $1200-$1300 for a set up.
    Cheers

Caretaker
    Welcome aboard, You are in the right place !

Patience will reward you with either chambering in a T3, suppressed, and within your budget.
    Tikka7mm08, BRADS and Danny like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

T3. 708. cant go wrong.
    Tikka7mm08 and Willie like this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    7mm08 would be a good start.
    If later on you wanted to you could ream to 284 win or 280.
    Danny likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Is there a particular reason you want a Tikka or just because they have good advertising? Plenty of other rifles in the same price range are just as good (or better depending on what features you like), its more important to choose one that fits you well than what you saw in a magazine or what your mate has.

Welcome to the forum
    gadgetman and PERRISCICABA like this.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...30-06-a-20360/

Easy as pie.

I'd sooner have that than any Tikka you might buy today.

deapite this being my first rifle i am not new to the game just never got around to it. I like tikka as dad hunts with sako and tikka is just a cheaper sako i thought. All my mates who hunt use tikka and one uses a sako A7 so i have heard great things about them. As an alternative i have looked at howa 1500s with the hogue stock and remington 700s(both in stainless). I will just add a leupold/redfield or bushnell scope to them.
    Thoughts?
    also been advised to steer clear of blued

I'm starting to sound like a cracked record on here, but I'm a bit of a Howa fanboi - they are outstanding first rifles, and if you can pay ~$800 for a decent bare rifle, you have more to spend on better optics.

Bonus is the 7mm08 Ranchland comes threaded from the factory - Howa 1500 Lightweight Compact 7mm08 - 7mm-08 Remington - Centerfire Rifles - Firearms - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

They should hopefully knock ~$100 off if you ask for it without the scope. Get the best scope that you can for $500 (it'll be better than any of the scopes that you get in a factory package) and you're sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    also been advised to steer clear of blued
    Why?

Andrew-more prone to rusting than s.s. I suppose?
    Josh- Yeah I really like the look of Howas have heard great things about them including a mate who uses one saying that it has a smoother action than his tikka t3. I cannot afford a really expensive scope but if I managed to get a new howa for a good price I would ideally tee it up with a leupold vx-1 3-9x40 as one it is a leupold and two I have heard really good things about that size of scope.(plus being roughly $400 is quite nice haha).

I can pick up a brand new Remington 700 sps in 7mm08 for $899 with rings which I thought was pretty good?...just to chuck another one in the mix has anyone tried the new ruger americans? SAI are selling blued ones with a $450 redfield revolution scope for $1050.

The most important question is - what are going to shoot it this new rifle ?

Different brands = different weight, shouldering position, head position, etc. Spend the time going around the gun shops, pick up and feel different types as it'll help.

Me personally, Howa 1500. Picked up quite a few, the Howa was the most comfortable for me. Friends shoot a R700 and T3, have shot them both but my personal preference has still been my Howa. Threw on a L5 scope from nzar15.com and it's shoots like a dream.
    https://nzar15.com/store/index.php?i...roller=product

Quality costs, don't skimp ! and spend more than you can afford because it's still cheaper than upgrading next year because you've discovered there's better scopes out there, trigger job, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Different brands = different weight, shouldering position, head position, etc. Spend the time going around the gun shops, pick up and feel different types as it'll help.
    This. Different models from the same brand vary too. Any rifle in your price range should be accurate and reliable (and people who own it will tell their mates its good).

Savage are the pick of the bunch for me, Mod 16 (trophy hunter or weather warrior) if you want stainless/synthetic. Not the Axis though, its a budget special.

Stainless is less rust prone than blued but you do still have to clean and oil them, they just won't rust as quickly on/after a wet trip. I can see the appeal, I'll probably go stainless next time too.
    blake likes this.

Just my 2c....ive got a Howa 1500 in 7-08 cal with a Leopold VX-2 3-9 x 40 sitting on top.....cant go wrong for an 'entry rifle'....i will probably never move up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......cracked it first go.......
    Bryan, madmaori and Tommy like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

scouser-pretty much what I am looking at! GLAD TO HEAR IT IS A GOOD COMBO
    Scouser likes this.

@superdiver if can sell you a mint bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 for $250 if you want it. Better then a loupold vx1 I think.
    Scouser and superdiver like this.