Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 4 Post By southernman
  • 1 Post By Rock river arms hunter

Thread: Fly fishing gear

Fly fishing gear

Hey team, I have decided to give fly fishing a crack since we have plenty of places to go close to home, im after any gear others may be willing to sell on, namely a 5/6 weight rod and any other bits and pieces, have already got a nice reel and starting to get a collection of flies together. Cheers.
    #30GANG....

Fly fishing is awesome. 5/6 is lighter than I have (6/7) so can't help unfortunately. You will probably find 5 line a challenge in the wind.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Someone here had a TFO #6 with reel for sale. Nice rod. Think the reel was a Reddington.
    Danny likes this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Ive got quite a bit of stuff spare, are you going to the toby shoot ?, I've just booked tickets,
    I can likely sort you out for a #6 rod, line, flys and box, do you have a fly line, ? I've bought back upgraded gear this year.,
    drop me your phone number via PM, I am sorting threw fishing gear and hunting stuff, as just got back from Canada, so getting ready to do a few missions, plus fixing flippen vehicles and boat, that have been sitting for six months.
    I am hoping to work sum rust off tomorrow, and go thrash the Mokau river mouth for a few ky.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Ive got quite a bit of stuff spare, are you going to the toby shoot ?, I've just booked tickets,
    I can likely sort you out for a #6 rod, line, flys and box, do you have a fly line, ? I've bought back upgraded gear this year.,
    drop me your phone number via PM, I am sorting threw fishing gear and hunting stuff, as just got back from Canada, so getting ready to do a few missions, plus fixing flippen vehicles and boat, that have been sitting for six months.
    I am hoping to work sum rust off tomorrow, and go thrash the Mokau river mouth for a few ky.
    Cool, sounds like youre a man to have a chat with, yeap I will be at the shoot
    #30GANG....

Do you have a budget Ryan ?? As rods keep getting better and better the 'ideal' weight rod comes down. 20 years ago everyone used a #7, Ten years later #6 now the go-to is a #5 Sage with a #6 line. There is a lot of difference between rods of the same weight speed wise. A medium slow action is much better to learn on than a fast action. If someone had a second hand #5 Z Axis that would be a good start
    Benfransham likes this.

Ryan, where are you based from? If your keen for another novice to bush bash along with you and piss yourself with laughter at their total ineptitude let me know, Ive got a bit of gear but haven’t got out “doing it”
    I appreciate & respect differing views, I greatly value the benefit of good conversation around differing opinions & respect points of view contrary to my own, however when you’re a belligerent self-opinionated obnoxious troll like individual, +1 to the ignore list

K, I've got a Killwell silver fern #6 fly rod, (moderate action) and an old olymipia, 440 reel and spool, with a floater and a Cortland 333 sinking line, I will bring a few fly's, sum tippet material, and old fly box down with me, don't want anything for them, just pay it forward, if you upgrade or give up.

K, I've got a Killwell silver fern #6 fly rod, (moderate action) and an old olymipia, 440 reel and spool, with a floater and a Cortland 333 sinking line, I will bring a few fly's, sum tippet material, and old fly box down with me, don't want anything for them, just pay it forward, if you upgrade or give up.
    Wicked mate.
    Dan M

Ryan's got the bug so to speak.

Fantastic.

I have a few fly boxes you can have.

Take a look at something like a airflo bandit s/h.

Great rod that won't cost much and I love(I'm on my second)
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Sorry for my late reply, im so run off my feet at the moment its not funny, that is such an awesome offer! Look forward to chewing the fat at the shoot
    #30GANG....

thats an awesome offer..the 440s are a great reel (some of us still use them too) those trout in the irrigation pond will give you plenty of practise.