Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: FS 6.5 LRAB projectiles

FS 6.5 LRAB projectiles

For Sale 1 unopened Box, 100 count. $130

Also have some left over from an open box, happy to sell bags of 10 bullets to try. $15

Name:  LRAB.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  487.3 KB

Weight.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oh right it's in the pic.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

no good in your rifle??

I thought these didnt exist!

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Gibo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    no good in your rifle??
    My 260 shot the VLD's better. Worth a try.......

Any information on the barrel twist rate for this bullet to be stabilized?

Quote Originally Posted by icebug View Post
    Any information on the barrel twist rate for this bullet to be stabilized?
    @icebug
    A question that interested me too (looking at building a 6.5mm in the future - for target shooting).
    Brian Litz Twist Rate Stability calculator recommends 1:7.5" twist.
    Using data from Nosler website for bullet length (1.45"), muzzle velocity of 2650 fps from a 24" barrel length - this calculator doesn't give too much weight to muzzle velocity.
    In a modern action (most commercial M98 based types), 260 Rem or 6.5 X 55 should get there easily.
    I would think the older military M96 based Scandinavian rifles might struggle with pressure.
    So a rebarrel to the above twist, on a modern commercial action, might do the job for you.
    All the above is purely theoretical - I don't profess to be a ballistician by trade, just a gun nut with a huge interest - but sadly, no money to do any proof work.
    That would probably explain why @HOWA308 couldn't get them to work in his 260 Rem - twist rate wasn't quick enough.
    Cheers - hop the above helps.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyR View Post
    @icebug
    A question that interested me too (looking at building a 6.5mm in the future - for target shooting).
    Brian Litz Twist Rate Stability calculator recommends 1:7.5" twist.
    Using data from Nosler website for bullet length (1.45"), muzzle velocity of 2650 fps from a 24" barrel length - this calculator doesn't give too much weight to muzzle velocity.
    In a modern action (most commercial M98 based types), 260 Rem or 6.5 X 55 should get there easily.
    I would think the older military M96 based Scandinavian rifles might struggle with pressure.
    So a rebarrel to the above twist, on a modern commercial action, might do the job for you.
    All the above is purely theoretical - I don't profess to be a ballistician by trade, just a gun nut with a huge interest - but sadly, no money to do any proof work.
    That would probably explain why @HOWA308 couldn't get them to work in his 260 Rem - twist rate wasn't quick enough.
    Cheers - hop the above helps.

My tikka super lite 260 loaded with LRAB @ 2830 f/s grouped about an inch. Think the barrel is 1:8 twist.
    The Berger VLD same load etc achieved about half inch - three quarter groups.

Considering cost and availability have decided to stay with the VLD's

Interesting, I suspect the Accubonds would be less "explody" on live game. Bergers from what I have read are designed to work that way.

I use std accubonds at the moment and they are very good, not found one yet both deer have been bang/flop and entry and exit holes with not too much lost meat due to bullet damage.
    I'll be sticking with them
    Gibo likes this.

Interesting, I suspect the Accubonds would be less "explody" on live game. Bergers from what I have read are designed to work that way.

I use std accubonds at the moment and they are very good, not found one yet both deer have been bang/flop and entry and exit holes with not too much lost meat due to bullet damage.
    I'll be sticking with them
    I've shot a heap of animals with VLD's and agree that up close they explode (like all thin jacket projectiles, like the SST, going really fast). Best way around that is once you see the deer, turn around, walk back 500-600 yards and shoot from there. They mushroom up quite nicely or drill straight through if no bone is hit.

I'm not too worried about meat damage, more interested in the bang/flop and not have a wounded deer run off into the bush never to be seen again. A dead deer with 5% meat damage is better than no deer.

In say all that, I loaded some 129gr LRAB in my 260 last night and shot a nice 2/3 MOA group with the first 5 rounds. So might play with seating depth a little to try and tighten this up and run with them.

I'm not too worried about meat damage, more interested in the bang/flop and not have a wounded deer run off into the bush never to be seen again. A dead deer with 5% meat damage is better than no deer.
    Bit of a thread drift But I prefer to see thru the hole in things rather then just the entry
    I thought I might try the 129LR ones in my TCU cause they are supposed to work down to 1300fps but the trajectory might be a wee bit rainbow like cause I will be luck to get 2500 muzzle velocity with them
    Std 140 Accubonds work great @3200
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Bit of a thread drift But I prefer to see thru the hole in things rather then just the entry
    I thought I might try the 129LR ones in my TCU cause they are supposed to work down to 1300fps but the trajectory might be a wee bit rainbow like cause I will be luck to get 2500 muzzle velocity with them
    Std 140 Accubonds work great @3200
    How do you figure all that? Get an extra 700 fps with a heavier pill? Or are you taking different rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    How do you figure all that? Get an extra 700 fps with a heavier pill? Or are you taking different rifles?
    Yes I have a 6.5TCU AND a 6.5SAUM or Mini and Maxi 6.5s if you prefer